AVIC411.com

How to: add left/right announce of destination

Sorry to have upset you.

I am working with you right now to try and see if we can figure out anything to make this announce better. I understand what you are saying but am giving my opinion (and it is just that, my opinion not "denouncing") as to whether I think this is any good. If doing a POI search gives me incorrect announces at least half the time then in my opinion it is useless, but it may be valuable to others. That is something they have to decide.

I would work on this more if I had the time to dig into the coding but I don't have the time for that at present. I have even waited months to see how others progressed. I do give thanks and much appreciation to all for their great efforts. I would even give some a paypal donation if I could presently afford it.

I agreed that in many ways Pioneer screwed us my not implementing many features that they should have. You have done a lot of great work and I appreciate it so please don't take my comments the wrong way.

I know many cameras are incorrect, etc. but that is not a reason to tell me not to use them just because I find this not to my liking in its current state. In fact I had two red light cameras in my area say they were speed cameras with a 70 mph speed limit. I know they need to be changed and will have to do that if I want to continue to use it.

You are right that there is no perfect data.zip for my taste. If I want one that is exactly what I want then I will have to dig into the code and mod as I like, which I presently don't have time for.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend and again thanks for all your help to me personally and all of us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed my California POI to the Navteq one you posted.

I did a new POI search for the Pep Boys with the Carl's Jr. via point and they both announced on the right as they are supposed to. I also tried direct address input and that worked correctly too.

I tried several other POI points in the area and they all worked correctly also so apparently the Navteq POIs are much better.

THANKS SO MUCH for working in this with me.

Now more questions:

1. Do you think the Navteq POIs have as many POIs in them because the TeleAtlas has two California files for a total size of 44.5 MB whereas the Navteq single file is only 7.6 MB?

2. Where can I download all of the Navteq US POIs that are hopefully up to date.

I found this link http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums/sh ... php?t=7202 to download the Navteq

POIs after I originally posted this. Do you think this is the best source as far as you know?

I changed my California POI to the Navteq one you posted.

I did a new POI search for the Pep Boys with the Carl's Jr. via point and they both announced on the right as they are supposed to. I also tried direct address input and that worked correctly too.

I tried several other POI points in the area and they all worked correctly also so apparently the Navteq POIs are much better.

THANKS SO MUCH for working in this with me.

Now more questions:

1. Do you think the Navteq POIs have as many POIs in them because the TeleAtlas has two California files for a total size of 44.5 MB whereas the Navteq single file is only 7.6 MB?

2. Where can I download all of the Navteq US POIs that are hopefully up to date.

I found this link http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums/sh ... php?t=7202 to download the Navteq

POIs after I originally posted this. Do you think this is the best source as far as you know?

That may be where I got mine. I don't remember for sure, though. I have read that Navteq using a different compression level or something like that, so the files are smaller. That's a huge difference between the two. It's possible there's less content.

Hope you have better results going forward. Sorry I was a little harsh in my response yesterday morning> I need to step back a little and not let this thing get to me like that.

I have concluded that for me the Navteq POI file for California seems to be missing too much and is probably why the files are so much smaller. BorisM recommended running both Navteq and TeleAtlas POIs for your main state but that would not fix the destination announce problem. More of my comments regarding my testing can be found here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26446&p=200048#p200048

Unless someone figures out a better way to fix this or comes up with better POI files etc. I will just forgo using the left/right destination announce at this time. I am happy to have been able to help figure out why some were getting incorrect destination announce. Good luck to those of you that want to continue using this feature.

• 3 months later...
It was just a thought. No big deal. I do know that my D3 had it that way. So maybe it is in there but its hidden like they hid the left/right BS.

This thing is like atari from the late 70's where they had everyone trying to uncover easter eggs. I just can't believe one year later and I'm still messing with this trying to make it better than they sold it to us. Why, oh why, oh why?

LOL, Hey N-S-E-W,have there been any advances with the tts voices since your last post here, Samantha announces correctly for me but gosh she sounds terrible, is there a Jason tts or a new Samantha?

After I added the announce left/right command (and this is just my experience) Navteq announces on the wrong side TA announces correctly. I have read others have had the exact opposite effect whereas TeleAtlas would announce on the wrong side.

Just another comparison, for my time TeleAtlas is still winning but I have only been testing this for 30 minutes by simulating routes.