AVIC411.com

Ok i have been reading the post and wondering what i need to do about ripping?

Is there a certain format that you need your video in to make a DVD.

- Everytime i try to put video on the DVD, it converts AVI, WMV to something that takes so long. Is there a reasone for this or maybe its the program i am using.

Also some of the videos are licensed... is there a way to make a DVD from them?

Any help would be great!

you need to convert your AVI's and WMVs to MPEG2 video format to burn to DVD. Also the audio would most likely convert to mpg audio as well, but if you read up on conversions, your best bet would be to separate the audio tracks from the video tracks, convert to video to MPEG2, convert the audio to AAC, and remerge the two files via a dvd authoring program. I know its alot of info, but I am extremely stupid when it comes to new technology, and i picked up on this too.

www.videohelp.com Tons of tutorials and such.

Ok i have been reading the post and wondering what i need to do about ripping?

Generally "ripping" is used to talk about taking a DVD or CD and copying the contents to your hard drive. Also used with the Z1 putting a CD in the drive and copying the contents to the Library.

Is there a certain format that you need your video in to make a DVD.

MPEG2

But lots of programs that will make a DVD structure (IFO and VOB files) will convert lots of formats (Nero, Adaptec, Ulead Easy DVD, etc).

- Everytime i try to put video on the DVD, it converts AVI, WMV to something that takes so long. Is there a reasone for this or maybe its the program i am using.

Most likely the program. Check here:

http://www.videohelp.com/convert

Great tutorials.

Personally I like the TMPGENC stuff

The encoder to make MPEG2 files out of whatever I have

http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/e_main.html

Best speed and video quality and control over the video encoding process (IMHO).

and TMPGENC DVD Author

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda20.html

For VOB and IFO creation (with menus and all).

Once you have a file you like in MPEG2, almost anything will make a DVD out of it with out too much processing.

Also some of the videos are licensed... is there a way to make a DVD from them?

Any help would be great!

Not sure what you mean by "licensed". Any video file you have on you pc that you can view can be made into a DVD with the correct conversion. Check VideoHelp.com for conversion tutorials.

OK the format thing makes since but what i mean about the license part is it is DRM encoding i think. its things i purchased offline

DRM encoding means that only your computer can play it. Generally there is a codec which needs a license to play the video file. I think that TMPGENC will re-encode it if the computer can play it.

Maybe if you gave us an example or the type of file. I don't know what you bought offline and could need to convert.

The only thing you can't convert is a file which is a web link and your browser or player goes out and plays the file remotely.

Generally any file that resides on your hard drive can be converted. Might take some steps but it can be done. Check VideoHelp.com for the convert. Without you telling us what you want to convert, you will have to look up the convert tools on VideoHelp yourself, just plug it into the Format Convert section.

About how long does it take to convert because the program i use takes like an 30 min just to do 200 mb

Depends on the program and how fast your computer is. Not the size of the file, but more the length of time it takes to play it. I only have an AMD 300+ (1800ghz I believe) and I can do video about real time. A 30 minute video file takes about 30 minutes. Some programs are slower than others. I think Tmpgenc is the fastest, at least that I have found and used.

Ok the program definitely works for the avi movies but not hte WMV.

The WMV is the licensed video, and when i try to open with TMPGENC, it says file not supported.

TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 1 or 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and reopen the video. That might do the trick.

thanks Ducatiboy...

I think it has something to do wiht the DRM encoding..

TEMPGENC doesnt want to open any of the WMV

Even with the direct show up high in the priorities? It might be the DRM, but I encode WMV files all the time with it. But I don't know the state of DRM, I don't think I have an DRM'ed WMV files.

Im giving up on the license part.

I ripped a DVD to my computer now, didnt take too long with Shrink.

Do you have a link to burn it to an actuall dvd or do i need to make the video mpeg.

the file has a video and audio subfiles. so here i am confused what to do with it?

You "ripped" with shrink?

If it had dvd encryption you would have needed DVD Decrypter installed as well.

But you ripped it and shrank it to a single layer DVD?

Shrink will burn it to a DVD if you have Nero installed. It might with other programs too, but I'm not sure. I would recommend installing nero and then shrink will burn it for you as well. But you basically have to burn those AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders into a DVD.

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

I use Nero for burning and you create a new DVD Movie and burn those two folders. I don't know what specific settings you need for other burning programs.