AVIC411.com

2001 Audi A8 install kit for D3 (updated with install pics)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, so there really is no off-the-shelf install kit for an Audi A8.

So here are pictures of the custom install I did...

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Also, I like "stealth" installs. The trunk has dual JBL subs in a sealed box, two reasonably large amps, an Alpine Imprint EQ, and a butt-load of wires.

Here is how I hid all the equipment. It also keeps my kids from putting backpacks and golf clubs through my subs...

trunk.jpg

trunk_red.jpg

trunk_gray.jpg

trunk_finished.jpg

And here is the car itself...

john_car.jpg

http://leadfreedesign.com/audi_radio_install.pdf

This is a 49 page PDF document (size = 1.1M) I put together with component locations, wiring diagrams and instructions on removing and reinstalling the HVAC vents and controls, the center console and radio.

It also shows how to remove the front and rear door trim to replace/upgrade the speakers.

I put the GPS antenna under the dash above the instrument cluster. There are instructions on removing the cluster (no need to disconnect the cluster connectors). There is a shelf back there to mount the GPS (or XM/Sirius) antennas with double stick 3M tape. Clear line of sight to 8+ satellites.

I would suggest removing the speakers in the rear hat shelf (from inside the trunk) and just using the factory grills with holes into the trunk. That way the sub will better vent into the car (I tried it both ways)

The PDF shows all the wiring connections that you will need to install your new head unit, including backup wires, VSS, illumination, power and ground, and steering wheel controls.

It also lists the proper Metra connectors for an A8 to make life a little easier.

You'll need to run pre-amp out wires to the trunk (driver's side) and power/ground/remote-on to the rear battery (passenger side). The rear seat bottom comes out with two screws just below the bottom front of the rear seat (move the little carpet covers)

Hope that helps. Feel free to email/call me if you have problems. My contact info is on the website www.LeadFreeDesign.com (I'm the CEO).

- John Taylor

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some additional install pictures:

The wires for the door speakers can be tapped at the left rear trunk brown Bose connector (these were already cut and spliced, so I'm not sure which is L/R/F/R in the picture:

speaker-wires2.jpg

Here is the Alpine EQ (Alpine PXE-H650 IMPRINT sound processor) in the left rear trunk cubby:

alpine-eq2.jpg

And I re-did the face plate to better match the existing dash:

stereo1-sm2.jpg

I still do not have the steering wheel controls integrated. The PAC-AUDIO SWI-PS does not seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

- John