AVIC411.com

Avic-Z1 & 2005 Ford Crown Vic?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was about to purchase an avic-z1 when I called crutchfield to get some more information and they told me that the radio would not fit into my 2005 ford crown victoria (because they did not make a mounting kit for it, or something like that). I am a bit confused because I have a double DIN slot in my car. I want to be sure before I go spending $1700 that it will in fact fit. The person at a store near my house said that pioneer makes a generic mounting kit. I was hoping to get some feedback before purchasing. Thank you very much!

Jeff

It can be made to fit. You wil need to make some modifications to the dash behind the radio to get it to slide in all the way.

what sort of modifications? have you done this before? do you know of anywhere that i can get some more detailed info?

Also, is there any sort of mounting bracket to make the front look finished?

It can be made to fit. You wil need to make some modifications to the dash behind the radio to get it to slide in all the way.

what sort of modifications? have you done this before? do you know of anywhere that i can get some more detailed info?

Not in a year or so. I think I used a 99-5805 to "snap" the double din into the dash. As far as the mods go, once you remove the stock radio there's plastic along the top of the inside of that hole. That plastic must be removed in order to get the radio to slide in all the way. Like I said it's been a while since I did this, so you may need to get creative as far as securing the radio goes.

I thought they said the modifications were for 2003 or 2004 and earlier. I know my 1998 Crown Vic had a double din face but a single din hole. But they changed it in the 2000's sometime... I don't know when.

I havent looked but I am fairly sure that the radio is double din. If I have to make some modifications behind the radio I am not so worried about that. I will make a custom mount if I need to. I am more concerened about the front looking finished and professional. which i have to say, is not my forte`. does anyone know if pioneer makes a standard piece to fit in? or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Not in a year or so. I think I used a 99-5805 to "snap" the double din into the dash. As far as the mods go, once you remove the stock radio there's plastic along the top of the inside of that hole. That plastic must be removed in order to get the radio to slide in all the way. Like I said it's been a while since I did this, so you may need to get creative as far as securing the radio goes.

well i'm sure i can be plenty creative to secure it. if you don't mind my asking what is a 99-5805? do you recall what you did to the front to give it that 'finished' look?