AVIC411.com

Factory Rear View Camera - Can't use????

Have had the z110 installed in 2010 Tundra for a couple of weeks now and still learning....and driving out of driveway with parking brake on. Taking back to installer next week for some fixes, including bypass (on lunch hour, boss is gone) What a ridiculous deal...beyond stupid. Steering wheel controls don't work properly, turns out they installed PAC version 1.67 instead of 1.68 (they don't even know about 1.68) Noise in between songs on ipod I don't like. But the most dissapointing thing is the factory rear view camera not working. I thought they just didn't plug it in. The install book looks like it is an easy thing. Nooooooo, the installer says....almost no factory rear cameras work with aftermarket HU's. This can't be true can it? He said some can be done but a real pita. Can anyone help me here. If this is the case, this, along with the many other shortcomings of this unit, is a deal breaker....it is coming out and factory back in. I have been reading and researching for a month, then deciding between the Kenwood and z110, and this is the first I have heard. Thanks for your help. Greg -"I just backed into something with the parking brake on while yelling at the VR, "I said Lucille's NOT Spaghetti Factory" and trying to figure out what the whole name of that song is on xm"""and wondering if I pushed the ok button in the warning screen at the appropriate moment" Martinette

The fact is factory reverse cameras on vehicles don't have the same connections as the aftermarkets ones do so it certainly is a PITA to try and adapt one. I am suprised your condsidering returning the unit because of this. Your going to give up a far supperior unit to your OEM deck just so you can have your factory camera. :roll: Well to each his own I guess but the other issues you are having are certainly install error and should be fairly easy to fix.

You're right, not a deal breaker,I have too much invested in cables and tuners and control modules and installation to go back now and I have big plans for the $200 rebate I should receive next fall. It's been an expensive, frustrating process. The OEM worked pretty darn good...just didn't do justice to the Morel Elates I had put in.

I tried Pandora through my Blackberry and BT and it sounded like crap, dull and muffled, with no data onscreen. Did I read where you thought yours sounded good.....is there a trick? Should I plug it in? Will it sound as good as IPOD? Also, I have been a long time Sirius user and now switched to xm...and is it just me or is the sound quality worse? Blue, you have been a huge help to me while going thru this. You convinced me to go Pioneer instead of Kenwood and I watched all your demo videos. You put a lot of effort into this. Pioneer should be cutting you a fat check. Thanks!!!! Greg

Pioneer should be cutting you a fat check.

:lol::lol::lol: Yea right, thanks for the plug though. I use Pandora over BT with my iPhone and the unit and it sounds great. The only problem is the BT in the iPhone is a flaky and tends to skip while playing. However I had the same problem with my 9140 so I don't think it has anything to do with the Z. I also have good quality with my XM.

I have an 08 Tundra with factory camera and it works beautifully...

Although it shouldn't matter, but what camera do you have? Tailgate..RVM...drop down????

I don't know how your installer is, but maybe point him here...

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/audio- ... -lots.html

Then go here to get a little more detail... Thanks to the kind folks over there, I was able to get my head out of my ass...

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/audio- ... ots-8.html

Also, if you would do me a favor, when you do get the SWIPS installed right, let me know if you have a problem programming it.... Mine has an issue with the VC button on the right hand side of the steering wheel, and the volume down button.... They bleed over into each other, therfore, not letting me program the Avic's VC to the steering wheels VC...

Also, if you would do me a favor, when you do get the SWIPS installed right, let me know if you have a problem programming it.... Mine has an issue with the VC button on the right hand side of the steering wheel, and the volume down button.... They bleed over into each other, therfore, not letting me program the Avic's VC to the steering wheels VC...

Are you sure you have version 1.6.8? Also, if there is a voltage drop on your steering wheel control wire, it can cause problems while programing the PS. I had this issue at times before I grounded the PS straight to the battery in my car.

The 2010 Pioneer catalog lists a new ND-BC4. No idea what it is, but its worth finding out if you have to go out and buy a camera

Back to the rear view camera....though it is difficult, is it doable, reasonable? Would it be easier, cheaper to put the ND-BC2 in and pull the factory?

Are you sure you have version 1.6.8? Also, if there is a voltage drop on your steering wheel control wire, it can cause problems while programing the PS. I had this issue at times before I grounded the PS straight to the battery in my car.

Yeah.. it's 1.6.8....

Everything works fine, but because of it, I had to exclude the "hang up" function... In which is...hmmm... oookkkaaayy, being that I can just wait for the other person to hang up, or reach over and hit the screen...

I'd rather have it right though... So when I do find the time, I'm gonna try to ground it directly to the battery...

I wonder if using a diode would help? A diode will only allow current to go one way.... I mean, "Ideally" grounding it at the radio's ground should be no different than grounding it to the battery, being it's all one big loop anyways... But then again, I'm still amazed that they can do so many functions with only one wire... in which I assume just works off of voltage drops...dunno

This is my current setup...

post-11718-12872760831131_thumb.jpg

looks like the new cam is smaller and better low light visibility

Not a HUGE difference but enough that it may matter. wonder when back up cams will be in HD :)

Specs:

Features include:

Wide Viewing Angle: 135 Degrees (Horizontal) and 105 Degrees (Vertical)

1/4" Color CCD with 270,000 pixel resolution (491 x 512 pixels)

0.9 ~ 10,000 Lux Automatic Luminance Control (includes automatic low-light lux mode for higher detail and contrast in low-light conditions)

Compact Camera Unit: 23mm (W) x 23mm (H) x 24mm (D)

Composite Video Output (6m cable included)

vs previous BC2

Wider Viewing Angle: 135 Degrees (Horizontal) and 100 Degrees (Vertical)

1/4" Color CCD with 270,000 pixel resolution (491 x 512 pixels)

1.5 ~ 10,000 Lux Automatic Luminance Control (includes automatic low-light lux mode for higher detail and contrast in low-light conditions)

Compact Camera Unit: 1" (W) x 1" (H) x 1" (D)

Composite Video Output (6m cable included)

Well, putting in the Pioneer camera this week....can'tfind anyone in the KC area that has done the "exploratory surgery" required to use factory cam and my installer doesn't want to attempt it and most likely would cost considerabley more than putting in new one. Bypass being done and 1.68 steerin wheel control update. Time to be done with this project.

Well, putting in the Pioneer camera this week....can'tfind anyone in the KC area that has done the "exploratory surgery" required to use factory cam and my installer doesn't want to attempt it and most likely would cost considerabley more than putting in new one. Bypass being done and 1.68 steerin wheel control update. Time to be done with this project.

gregm19,

The camera on the 2010 Tundra is different from the prior year’s version, it can be modded but if you're paying someone to do the work it's probably not cost effective. As far as your steering wheels controls go, I own a 2010 Tundra as well and just installed the Z110BT a few weeks along with the PAC V1.68. All my steering wheel controls work including voice activation. It took me a few attempts to program the Pac correctly but it wasn't a difficult procedure. No need to run the power wire directly to the battery, I just taped into the power and ground wires located in the stereo harness and have had no issues.

Thanks scurry! Do you have the steering wheel programmed like the pic in the thread? I really want one of the buttons to control presets.

gregm,

My steering wheel controls function identically to the factory controls, this is one of the reasons I chose the Z110BT over other Nav systems.