AVIC411.com

I think I broke my Z1!!!! Help!!!!

I've had my AVIC-Z1 working perfectly for 2 months now. I had a rattle in my dash, so I opened it up to tighten things down. Putting my navigation system back in, the battery wire got caught between the head unit brackets and the frame. When I tightened it down, it cut the wire without me knowing about it. I realized something was wrong when I turned the truck on and the navi system remained blank. I opened it back up, found the broken battery wire (which I patched back together), but my navi system still won't come on.

My first thought was that I had blown a fuse, but I checked the fuses and they were all fine. I also checked both the Acc and Batt+ for power at the plug going into the Z1 and had 12V on the ACC and 0.5V on the Batt+ wire.

I'm freaking out here because I'm thinking I broke my Z1. Any suggestions????

Another thing that might be important. When putting the Z1 back in, I dropped the GPS antenna on top of the Z1. The antenna has a magnet on it. Could this have caused the problem???

It's not the GPS antenna on the top of the unit. That wouldn't effect it. It most likely is a fuse somewhere in the line, there are a bunch, one in the wire itself, then in the fuse box and could even have one under the hood somewhere. Something is blown, it's possible that it's in the z1, but I would look "up the line to the battery" for an external fuse.

Well, I figured it out. I tested all the fuses with the meter, but none of them gave me a 0. I have wiring and current diagrams for my truck, and there are four fuses between the Z1 and the battery: one in the engine bay, one in the accessory panel, and two aftermarket ones on the wire itself. Looking at the diagram, I narrowed out the accessory panel fuse (if it was bad, a couple of other things would have gone out, but only the Z1 was dead). I pulled the aftermarket fuses and they looked fine. Sure enough it was the fuse in the engine bay. Replaced it, and now the Z1 is up and running again.

Thanks for the help guys. I was mostly freaking out thinking that dropping the magnet on it had wiped the HD or something.