AVIC411.com

Did the bypass, can't pair BT phone

Hello all! Noob posting here, but fairly familliar with some of the Older AVIC units.I recently replaced my N1 with the Z110BT and I am experiencing 1 issue...

I used the information in the stickied thread about performing the "mute wire video bypass"

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=25867

The video bypass works great, able to enter addresses and watch dvd while in motion, but unable to pair up any bluetooth cell phone (the main reason the unit was purchased). Has any else experienced this problem? I'd hate to back to stock(no video bypass), but if thats what I need for the bluetooth to pair, then I suppose thats what we'll have to do. Im open to suggestions. I made sure the mute pin was tight in its new location, and it seemed fine when I gave it a tug prior to putting the dash back together.

Would not having VSS hooked up have anything to do with this? I was in a hurry to see the unit in action, and ran out of feeling in my fingers to dig for the VSS wire (haha). I've had other indash navis installed with the vss not hooked up. never really experienced an issue.

I'll keep browsing around here for anything else, but I hope somone can help shed some light on this for me.

Thank you in advance!

I'm pretty sure that the bypass and/or the VSS have anything to do with it....

Have you ever been able to pair a phone to it?

What phone?

Like I mentioned, the bypass and VSS should have nothing to do with it... It could be a manufacturer defect, and the BT radio is broke...

The main reason I was figuring it may have been something bypass related, is because when I go into the bluetooth menu, the "connection" button is not illuminated (not click-able, but all others are), which didn't really make much sense to me since dvds will play while in motion meaning that the bypass was functioning propperly.

I've tried pairing my Verizon LG Voyager (which pairs up and works with my Eclipse CD3200 headunit in my other vehicle) as well as a verizon Samsung Alias2. Both saying invalid passcode when entering the 1111 passcode from the AVIC Z110BT. Keep in mind I am getting to this point after both phones are able to "find" the Pioneer Navi. Unless I am doing something incorrect or overlooking something. If I am I appologise for wasting anyones time...haha

Out of bordom and out of curiocity, I also called pioneers tech line and after having them tell me to put vehicle in drive and engage the E brake etc... obviously to varify if the e brake was functioning, they said " I am not able to reach that portion of the menu because the unit must have been video bypassed by the installer, and that the parking brake wire needs to be seeing a signal from the parking brake in order to sync phone.", which now that I think of it makes no sense, since it must be seeing propper signal because it is allowing dvd's to play and enter addresses while in motion.

I hope this helps us get closer to a solution. Thanks for the responses thus far.

The Pioneer techs are full of crap and a half ass answer is common from them when they don't know the solution to the problem. You can go into most shops and pair your phone with their demo units without any problem. They don't have any parking brake engaged. My unit and most of the owners of the units on this site have the bypass and are not having this problem. There is likely a logical reason for the problem you are having but it hasn't appeared yet. I would try a phone that is not Verizon related. I know that a couple of years ago, Verizon was notorious for crippling the BT functions of their phones and that may still be an issue in your case. The fact that the CONNECTION button on your unit is blacked out leads me to believe that your unit may be defective.

I hate to say it, and no to offend anyone here who may be associated with pioneer, but it did seem like a somewhat generic answer. Once he said that, he was quick to end the conversation too.

When paring phones to headunits inthe past I've always had no problems locating the device with the phone. Tried that as well as trying to locate the phone with the avic and still no luck. Trying a non Verizon phone will be my next step. I've thought about "un-doing" the bypass, or maybe putting a toggle switch between the brake wire and ground, but like you said no one else whohas done it seemes to be having any issues similar to mine, so I don't see that being the case.

I hate to say it, and no to offend anyone here who may be associated with pioneer, but it did seem like a somewhat generic answer. Once he said that, he was quick to end the conversation too.

All too common with the sorry level of support staff that Pioneer employs. These guys have probably run more consumers away from ever buying another Pioneer product then any problematic product they may have ever released. They are seriously the worst, most hostile, most incompetent support staff I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. Pioneer seems to be really getting their act together in so many areas except in the support department. And this is the most destructive area of the company when it comes to customer retention.

haha...dealt with pioneer products ALOT over the past 10 years, but this is the first time I've experienced their tech support. I guess thats why Forums like this are developed!

Anyway rather then complain about that for pages and pages of posts, any suggestions or ideas aside from trying a new unit, or trying a non verizon phone to pair? I won't have oppertunity to get back in the vehicle to mess with it untill sunday at the soonest.

haha...dealt with pioneer products ALOT over the past 10 years, but this is the first time I've experienced their tech support. I guess thats why Forums like this are developed!

Anyway rather then complain about that for pages and pages of posts, any suggestions or ideas aside from trying a new unit, or trying a non verizon phone to pair? I won't have oppertunity to get back in the vehicle to mess with it untill sunday at the soonest.

Try a full reset....

But honestly, it is sounding more like a bad BT radio in the unit...

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved. A new Verizon phone (same model as used previously too!) worked fine. Wierd part was the old phone paired with the OEM bluetooth in a 2009 Lexus ISF. Oh well...everything is working as it should. And tursn out as some of you mentioned, Pioneer tech support was WAY off.

Thanks to everyone on here for your support.