AVIC411.com

Bypass with Switch

Why would you want a switchable bypass? Not trying to be a deek... Just trying to understand why you would want to turn your bypass on and off????

I also think that the vid quality is awesome.... at least via the IPod/IPhone...

Well i read on some other forum that cops can give you a ticket(i'm in CA) for having video bypass done.

Switch allows to ground signal to be on/off hence if cops stops you and want to check if you have bypass you can just disable bypass. I don't have experience with this, but it sounds logical to me when cities are reducing their orange to red timing to ticket more people to increase revenue and i have first hand experience with this. Be careful of those orange to red traps at LAX.

The laws in most states dictate that video can not be playing in view of the driver. The wording is very specific and that is the illegal part. To my knowledge, there is no law in any state that makes a video bypass illegal. If a cop actually does require you to show him that you have a bypass and writes you a ticket for it and the law is not specific on that matter, you can beat it in court everytime. Google your states laws and you can find out for sure.

I agree. If a cop is pacing you and you are dumb enough to be watching movies at night, you are screwed whether you have a switch or not because he will see the flicker in your car. On top of that, a cop will never get in your car and make you drive to check whether your deck is bypassed or not. Switch seems like overkill to me

You don't need a switch, you need to take it back to your installer and tell him to do it right. If he doesn't know how, take it to a real shop or read the threads that tell your bonehead installer how to do it

Any reputable shop won't do the bypass anyways. And as far as bonehead installer goes, any good installer should know how to bypass any unit they install. I know all of my guys do, regardless of whether or not they do it.

And it CAN be done with a switch, you just need to make sure that both wires are grounded, and you can hook a switch in line with either one to toggle the bypass. If your vehicle has a VSS output, then you could use a switch and a two relays to toggle between bypassed, and standard operation.