AVIC411.com

avic-d1 and sdv-p7

i have an avic-d1 in my car and now i'm looking to add an sdv-p7 dvd player. i'm finding the installation manual for the sdv a little confusing because none the scenarios listed in it connect directly to the head unit. has anybody done this installation? do i just need to connect just the ip-bus and av-bus cables directly to the d1? anyone done this installation?

The manual on the P7 is a bit confusing, so ignore it.

The IP bus out goes to the IP bus in on the D1/2.

The AV bus out goes to the AV bus in on the D1/2.

Hook up constant power and ground.

Leave ACC unattached (tape it up).

Ground the light green parking brake wire if you want to get video while in motion.

The unit will turn on when the IP bus tells it to turn on.

I've never understood that either, I've always thought that the unit will still draw power when the car is off since it's hooked up to a constant, but numerous times I've read thats the way to hook it up, so thats what I do.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell you (and me) why it works that way?

The constant feed is there to so the unit can retain memory. It also feeds main power to the unit. It's exactly like the yellow ire for a radio. Built into the ipbus cable is the trigger wire that tells the changer when to turn on. just the like red wire of a radio does. So yes there will be a small current draw on the yellow wire, but it's very very small. Ie it would take months for it to have ANY effect on the vehicle's battery