AVIC411.com

Navigation Night Mode?

hey guys, just got my z110bt installed last night and haven't had a ton of time to mess around with it yet but love it so far. On the way home the navigation was VERY bright and I think it was in day mode. So i went into the settings and checked and it was set to automatic day/night mode. I had the time set correctly and trying to figure out what else I needed to do to make it go into night mode. It was soo bright I had to turn it off the map to see to drive. Any help on this? Does it actually have a light sensor to know when its day/night or does it go off time?

hey guys, just got my z110bt installed last night and haven't had a ton of time to mess around with it yet but love it so far. On the way home the navigation was VERY bright and I think it was in day mode. So i went into the settings and checked and it was set to automatic day/night mode. I had the time set correctly and trying to figure out what else I needed to do to make it go into night mode. It was soo bright I had to turn it off the map to see to drive. Any help on this? Does it actually have a light sensor to know when its day/night or does it go off time?

It's dependent on having the illumination wire connected properly to the headunit. This is how it senses if the headlights are on or off. There is a connection status page that should show you if the illum. signal if on or off. I would suggest checking this with the headlights on and off to see if the signal is present or not.

It's dependent on having the illumination wire connected properly to the headunit. This is how it senses if the headlights are on or off. There is a connection status page that should show you if the illum. signal if on or off. I would suggest checking this with the headlights on and off to see if the signal is present or not.

In also have a question about the night mode, the illumination wire is the reason why nightmode doesn't work.

But does this mean that when the headlights are on the unit goes into night mode? Or does the unit only activates nightmode when the headlights are on and it's night time.

I'm always driving with the lights on, so does this mean the unit is always in nightmode?

Night mode is only controlled by the illumination wire (or manually), and does not care about the time of day or amount of ambient light, so if you turn your lights on during the day becuase it's raining, the map will be dispalyed in night mode if automatic is enabled. You can create a shortcut on the map view to toggle day/night if you want.

The video settings (brightness, contrast, color, dim level) of each source type (see below) is also linked to the day and night modes. You can use these to tweak how bright things look (for example, if the map is still too bright for you in night mode, you can tone it done a bit). From pages 158-159 of the manual:

Operating the picture adjustment

CAUTION: For safety reasons, you cannot use some of these navigation functions while your vehicle is in motion. To enable these functions, you must stop in a safe place and apply the parking brake. Refer to “Important Information for the user” (a separate manual).

You can adjust the picture for each source and rear view camera.

- Press and hold the MODE button.

- Press and hold to display the “Picture Adjustment” screen.

- Brightness — Adjusts the black intensity

- Contrast — Adjusts the contrast

- Color — Adjusts the color saturation

- Color Temp — Adjusts the tone of color (red is emphasized or green is emphasized)

- Dimmer -Adjusts the brightness of display

- [Camera] Shows the picture adjustment display for the rear view camera Touching [source] while adjusting the rear view camera image returns you to the previous screen.

- The adjustments of Brightness and Contrast are stored separately when your vehicle’s headlights are off (daytime) and when your vehicle’s headlights are on (nighttime). These are switched automatically depending on the vehicle’s headlights are on or off.

- The adjustments of Dimmer is stored separately when your vehicle’s headlights are off (daytime) and when your vehicle’s headlights are on (nighttime). Dimmer is switched automatically only when the value of nighttime is lower than the value of daytime.

- You cannot adjust Color for the source without a video and navigation map display.

- The setting contents can be memorized separately for the following screen and the “Video image”.

- AM/FM/CD/ROM/iPod(Music)/SD(audio)/USB(audio)/Bluetooth Audio/XM/SIRIUS/Digital Radio screen

- AV1 and iPod(Video)

- DVD-V, DVD-VR, DivX

- SD(Video) and USB(Video)

- AV2 and EXT1, EXT2

- Rear view camera image

- Map screen

- The picture adjustment may not be available with some rear view cameras.

- Because of the LCD screen characteristics, you may not be able to adjust the screen at low temperatures.

2. Touch [+] or [–] to adjust the desired item. Each time you touch [+] or [–] increases or decreases the level of the desired item.

3. Touch to return to the previous screen.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a way to force the headunit to run in night mode even when the headlights are off? I prefer the map to have the dark background, but the only options are: day | automatic. the new ford oem headunits have as options: day | automatic | night, and i believe they are made by pioneer so i thought the avic may have the option and i am just missing it.

thanks

is there a way to force the headunit to run in night mode even when the headlights are off? I prefer the map to have the dark background

I'm not sure, but try putting the day/night display icon in your quick access list, then you should be able to toggle between the two from the map screen by pushing the icon... I'm not certain of this, though - it may just toggle the mode between day and automatic.

If that's the case, then VBLUE42's suggestion will work in conjuction with mine - the power line will force "night" mode, but the icon will give you an easy access override when you change your mind.