AVIC411.com

Z110 and Mercedes OEM microphone?

Hi all,

Long time follower of the forum, finally registered myself... Glad to be a part of the community. =)

I have a question. I'm thinking about getting the Z110 for my 2005 Mercedes C55 AMG. The car already has integrated microphones in the rearview mirror. Is there any kind of module/bypass that would allow the avic to use those mics, or would I still have to run the microphone that comes with it?

Also, just to confirm something... Will this model control iPod videos, or is it like the last gen, where the iPod has to be hooked up to the aux input, and controlled via the iPod itself?

Thanks in advance for you help.

The mic should be something you can hardwire, and yes it will control iPod video.

Are you aware of the nature of the project it would be to put a Z110 in that car? Assuming the audio system is stock;

There is no radio replacement harness, it's an amplified system, with a data-based amp turn on, controlled through MOST. You can't turn the factory amp on, you *might* be able to bypass it, and if you can't bypass it, then the speakers are all individually amplified, so you would have to replace those as well, or modify the hell out of them (remove the amps, and connect the speakers wires directly to the terminals inside the amp, possibly have to build plates to mount the speakers).

And you'll have to get a Best Kits kit, because Metra only makes a single din.

Hey, thanks for the reply. =)

How would I go about hardwiring the mic, any advice?

Yeah, I know it'll be somewhat of a pain to throw in that car. But I made it a point to buy one without the OEM nav/tv unit. So it doesn't use the fiber optic cabling, or data turn on for the amp. There is a wiring harness available from MB, as well as a module for the amp linkup and steering wheel controls. They're a bit pricy, but that's the sacrifice I guess.

I've got a 2007 C-Class Mercedes and had the Z110 professionally installed... apparently it was a big project that required a new amp and rewiring of all of the speakers. Was also told that they were unable to get the steering wheel controls or the factory microphone to work with the Z110, but I'm not sure if they were just cutting corners or not since they said they couldn't hook up the speed pulse either. At least they did the parking brake bypass. Even with the additional parts and 12+ hours of labor, it was still cheaper than Mercedes wanted for their factory nav, ipod and phone setup. Would have been nicer if they could have used the factory mic though.

I am in the middle of installing this HU in my 2003 C320. We have been taking it slow so we don't break anything but here is what I am tell you so far.

If you have the Bose fiber system it is a pain in the butt to get everything installed. I needed an amp (Polk Audio 5 channel), the Pioneer Carpi system to get my steering wheel controllers (you can get the VSS signal without it but the Carpi makes it easier). All of the speakers needed to be replaced (Polk MM6501's sound really good) and all of the interior trim needed to be removed.

Running the wires through the door wasn't that bad as long as you take your time, unhook the rubber piece between the door and the body and get a couple of metal coat hangers wrapped in tape.

If you take your time and read up on everything you can do the install yourself but be prepared to spend a good 30+ hours doing it right. The MBworld.com forums have a lot of info.

Get the CARPI that fits your car and the back up light, VSS and Illumi wire are right there off of the CAN bus. Mine cost 150 USD and I had to order it overseas since Pioneer doesn't sell them in the US (bastards!).

As for the OEM mic, there is a post on the MBworld forums that talks about how to take your old one out and replace it with the Pioneer one. You need to take them both apart but you can use the MB housing to keep the factory look. The mirror (as well as just about everything else) just pulls off with some force. Use a screwdriver to apply pressure on the metal retaining pin when putting it back in.