AVIC411.com

Avic-Z1 installation QUESTIONS: 2002 Mercedes Benz Clk 430.

I need to have my Avic-Z1 installed on a 2002 Mercedes Benz Clk 430. My system is Bose base. I don't want to install new speakers and run new wires.

Is there anyone in here that is familiar with the level of difficulty this unit requires for installation on a Mercedes Benz Bose based system. I have been told that the system is fiber optic. I'm not sure. Please share your thoughts! Here is the Before Pic.

Kleenkut13

post-2913-12872751363583_thumb.jpg

You can keep the stock speakers, and run them with the Z1, but they won't sound that good. You will lose the bose subwoofer. If you want a sub, you'll need to put in a new one along with an amp. You should really add an after market 4 channel amp for the speakers while you're at it

Ok. From my understanding and what these installers here are telling me...my whole audio system works off of fiber optics. They are saying they will have rewire my whole system for aftermarket installation. They are also giving me a hard time because I didn't buy my Avic-Z1 from them so they are pushing some comparable Kenwood and Kenwood unit. This is Roger's stero. I live in Greenville, SC. Maybe some reading this is from Atlanta, GA who could recommend someone who can install this unit. I need a installer who is familiar with bypassing fiber optics without causing any damage to existing Mercedes Benz electronic components. I have the display on the dash which shows what song is playing, odometer, and other car info.

All referrals are welcome if you live near South Carolina.

My statement above was correct. The only fiber optic line is from the stock head unit to the Bose amp. The wiring from the Bose amp to the speakers is normal. You can just run speaker wire from the Z1 to those speaker connections. The speakers are 2ohm, so it won't be perfect, but it will work. You will lose the subwoofer. If you want it to sound better, run RCA jacks from the Z1's audio out to an aftermarket amp, and connect that to the stock speaker wire that the Bose connects to.

My statement above was correct. The only fiber optic line is from the stock head unit to the Bose amp. The wiring from the Bose amp to the speakers is normal. You can just run speaker wire from the Z1 to those speaker connections. The speakers are 2ohm, so it won't be perfect, but it will work. You will lose the subwoofer. If you want it to sound better, run RCA jacks from the Z1's audio out to an aftermarket amp, and connect that to the stock speaker wire that the Bose connects to.

The bold part ain't a good idea to do. That's half the resistance the z1's amp can handle you run it like that for any length of time even at low volumes, you risk destroying the z1's internal amp.

So it is best to just replace the stock amp with aftermarket amp. Do I need to look for an amp that has a 2 ohm output? What about the speakers in the front. Do they have amps on them or can I wire them directly to the Z1? Which wire harness is preferred? I hear the VW wire harness is what most installers are using. When I pull out the oem stock unit, connect the vw harness to the existing harness in back of the unit. Then I take the wire ends of the vw harness and connect to the Z1 such as power, ground, remote. Am I understanding this correct?

Questions:

If I did not replace the Bose amp with an aftermarket amp, will the Z1 with the VW harness give me sound for my front speakers? I know the subs will not work unless I replace the bose amp, but what about the front speakers. Are the front speakers controlled by the connection in the front vw wire harness or they TOO like the subs controlled by the Bose Amp? If so where is the Bose amp in a 2002 Clk 430?

When I replace the oem head unit with Avic Z1, what will my digital dash display say when I play music?

Sorry for so many questions, but UPS online says that my unit should be here today.

Doubtfull you'll get any sound from the front speakers wiring it up like that. From what I remember all of the speakers are powered off the bose amp. Odds are if you use a vw harness you'll have to swap the red and yellow leads. Grab a meter and test the yellow wire should have power with the car on and off. The red should only have power with the car on. If the operation is backwards then swap the wires. As for your dash display it won't show anything when playing music since the z1 can't communicate that information to the vehicle. All in all good luck with the install, and as much as you might not want to, you're probably going to have to run a fair amount of wiring.

Thanks cntrylvr79! I didn't realize that all speakers are powered from the Bose amp. I finally found a Pioneer Certified installer who says that they are very familiar with Benz systems and can install it even though I didn't buy my Avic Z1 from them. They priced my install at $360. I think that this is a little much, but it's either pay that or try to install it myself or sell my Avic Z1 and purchase Kenwood

DDX-6029 multimedia system at retail in their store and have them install it. Most installers here who "specialize" in Benz installs require you to buy your equipment from them. Any thoughts?

I used to have the same car, 2001 model, had the older 7300DVD/AVIC-9DVD setup. When I decided to install the nav/dvd system, there were so many headaches with trying to keep factory speakers and such, I just wound up using a JL Audio 300/4 and 500/1 on Focal k-line 5 1/4"'s and Boston Pro60's for separates and 3 JL Audio 8w3's in a sealed box in the trunk. Costly, but worth every penny. The display in the dash cannot work with an aftermarket head, and I don't think they (PAC or Peripheral) ever resolved how to get the steering wheel controls to work. The factory amp is in the trunk, under the carpet in front of the spare, unless it is a convertible, then it will be between the 2 walls behind the back seat. BTW, there is a speaker location at the rear of the door on some models, this worked awesome with a later added pair of Focal 5 1/4" midbass drivers. Made my booty tingle.

I agree that using the stock Z1 amp to power the factory 2ohm Bose speakers is not a good idea, but I was just explaining that it is possible. I strongly suggest using an aftermarket 4 channel amp. I used new amps and new component speakers in my install