AVIC411.com

speedometer signal

what is the effect of not connecting the speedometer signal? the manual says to always connect it, but it also says that it just makes the computations more accurate, suggesting that the GPS based calculation will still work, but might not be as good. I don't want to hook up this signal if I can avoid it. I know it has nothign to do with the bypass but I don't like the idea of tapping into the speedometer signal. my garmin GPS calculates the vehicle speed to within 1mph, would the pioneer really be that far off?

makes a big overall difference i always hook it up. what year make and model is your car ? ill tell you where to get the speed wire. jim

Its a C5 Corvette. I think I know where to get my hands on the signal right behind the instrument cluster. its a pain to get to but not the end of the world. I am just nervous about the concept of tapping into a wire like that. how can I be sure that its perfectly safe to do so? how can I be sure that the addition of some other circuit elements won't throw my speedo reading off? I guess most people do this and I suppose no one has ever had a problem before (unless you do something crazy like damage the stock wire, break it off or poorly tap it or something) Is this really a safe thing to do? no risk to the stock electronics?

thanks for your help!

I just installed this unit in my '02 Z06 at the first of the year, made the connection behind the main instrument panel and I've absolutely no issues.

thanks! I guess I'll make the attempt. might as well since I have to replace one of the LEDs in my DIC buttons anyway, the cluster needs to come out while everything else is apart.

make a good connection. dont short the wire no problems. do it everyday. jim if your factory radio had speed senssitive volume the vss wire will be at factory radio harness. get me the year etc jim

actually it isn't the case with this car for some reason. it does have SCR on the factory radio, but there isn't any VSS signal on the connector (haven't actually inspected the service manual on this, trusted people on the forum) apparently this car's stock radio got the VSS information through the serial data cable which forms the network that all the car's computers talk to each other on. odd thing is on the newer C6's there is a VSS wire in the stock wiring harness. but in the C5 best bet is to tap into it behind the cluster. so I guess that's what I'll attempt.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I just found this site and it is answering alot of my questions.

I will be Installing my new AVICZ 120 this weekend but I can't find information locating the speed wire connection

and the reverse connection for a rear camera install. I have a Hyundai Sante Fe 2010 SUV standard stereo

with no factory amp or sub . If anyone can help me on this I would appreciate it.

Cheers :D