AVIC411.com

Just installed the X910

So I just installed the X910 in my '06 Chevy Trailblazer equipped with the Bose sound system and OnStar. It took the entire day yesterday but it all came out wonderfully. I ran the bypass so that the navi can be used while driving and DVD's can be viewed. The thing I don't understand is why the mute wire had to be grounded along with the parking break wire. With the parking break wire grounded I was able to get video through without the parking break being engaged. Of course I didn't try driving the vehicle with only the parking break grounded. Can someone explain what grounding of the mute wire is giving me? Also the other thing is the reverse signal wire and the speed sensor wire, with them both connected, I was getting a "Warning: the image may be reversed" on the screen and I couldn't get rid of it. I disconnecte the reverse wire and that went away. The thing I don't understand is without either of those wires connected, I was able to still use the GPS and it tracked my movement as I drove down the road. If someone could explain that one too that would be great. The only complaint so far beyond the normal irritations of it being a computer with computer typical behavior is the voice commands when making a call. I can make a phone call and dial by number and the system understands. If I try to dial by name from within the contacts list, it does not recognize. One of the contacts is simply labled "Home". So when it prompts me to say the name, I say, "Home" or "Call Home" it does not understand and suggest something from the iPod menue. Is there a software update that addresses this? The other thing I wanted to mention is the cable that connects the iPod with the system. It is said that you need to purchase the Pioneer CD-IU230V for this to work properly, no other cable will work. Well i took the chance and went out and bought the Apple Composite Cable for the iPod/iPhone and I must say, it works wonderfully. All in all I am happy with this system, glad I bought it.

• 3 weeks later...
Also the other thing is the reverse signal wire and the speed sensor wire, with them both connected, I was getting a "Warning: the image may be reversed" on the screen and I couldn't get rid of it. I disconnecte the reverse wire and that went away. The thing I don't understand is without either of those wires connected, I was able to still use the GPS and it tracked my movement as I drove down the road. If someone could explain that one too that would be great

if you had the reverse wire hooked up and the type was wrong in the settings, then it would have the camera screen up all the time

it doesnt need the reverse wire or the VSS hooked up for the GPS to work, it receives the signal fro the GPS antenna to figure out where it is and then throws that on to a map

Hey guys,

Sorry to jump on this thread but this seems to be the closest post related to a question I had and didn't want to start a new topic. I just got the x910bt and am going to install into a 2006 Ford Escape. Question about the wiring for the install.

I've already got the wiring harness setup for the bypass and I'm going to be doing that, but based on what you're saying, you do NOT need to hookup the pink wire (car speed signal input) or the violet/white (reversgear signal input)? I'm going to ground the ebrake wire but wanted to 100% confirm that I do not need the pink or violet wires. What is the purpose of these wires if you don't need to hook them up (besides the backup wire, I get the logic with that one if you had a backup camera). Was a bit confused as these are in the instructions but I was guessing that this is reflecting the "legal" way to hook it up. Also confused because it says if you have the x710bt then you do not need to hookup the pink (car speed signal input) wire. Why do you need to with the 910 but not with the 710.

Okay, sorry for all the questions and thanks for any info. This site will be a life saver.

Hey guys,

Sorry to jump on this thread but this seems to be the closest post related to a question I had and didn't want to start a new topic. I just got the x910bt and am going to install into a 2006 Ford Escape. Question about the wiring for the install.

I've already got the wiring harness setup for the bypass and I'm going to be doing that, but based on what you're saying, you do NOT need to hookup the pink wire (car speed signal input) or the violet/white (reversgear signal input)? I'm going to ground the ebrake wire but wanted to 100% confirm that I do not need the pink or violet wires. What is the purpose of these wires if you don't need to hook them up (besides the backup wire, I get the logic with that one if you had a backup camera). Was a bit confused as these are in the instructions but I was guessing that this is reflecting the "legal" way to hook it up. Also confused because it says if you have the x710bt then you do not need to hookup the pink (car speed signal input) wire. Why do you need to with the 910 but not with the 710.

Okay, sorry for all the questions :?: and thanks for any info. This site will be a life saver.

and sorry for the double post. page load problem.

the f700 does not have a VSS sensor where the f900 does, based on this, i assume that the x710/x910 are the same way. you dont need to have the VSS hooked up for the nav to work with the f900/x910 it just helps to make it a little more accurate if it is hooked up, and yes the reverse wire is for having a backup camera.

Why do you need to with the 910 but not with the 710.

Because the 910 has a VSS wire and the 710 doesn't. The general rule of thumb here is if it has the wire, it serves a purpose so hook it up no matter how insignificant it may be. After all, we are talking about a GPS system you want to be as accurate as possible, right? Most installers however skip this step.

Why do you need to with the 910 but not with the 710.

The general rule of thumb here is if it has the wire, it serves a purpose so hook it up no matter how insignificant it may be.

dont think that i could have put it any better myself,

i am curious however to see what percent of AVIC owners (that have the feature) actually have it hooked up. my money is on less than 20%

Its just a shame it seems to be the harder of the two wires to hook up. The backup signal wire looks a bit easier to hookup than the speed sensor wire. How does that saying go...

it all depends on the car, some times both wires will be at the wire harness(or the module for the harness reads the signals through CAN, and then send a signal through wires)

Its just a shame it seems to be the harder of the two wires to hook up. The backup signal wire looks a bit easier to hookup than the speed sensor wire. How does that saying go...

it all depends on the car, some times both wires will be at the wire harness(or the module for the harness reads the signals through CAN, and then send a signal through wires)

Do you know of any easy ways to find the wire in specific cars?

2006 ford escape (non hybrid)

REVERSE = black/pink (positive) @ Drivers kick panel

VSS = gray/black @ ABS or brake system control module: The ABS control module is on the rear driver side of the engine compartment. on vehicles with the 6 disc IN DASH cd changers, this wire can also be found at the radio harness.