AVIC411.com

Installed the X910

So I just installed the X910 in my '06 Chevy Trailblazer equipped with the Bose sound system and OnStar. It took the entire day yesterday but it all came out wonderfully. I ran the bypass so that the navi can be used while driving and DVD's can be viewed. The thing I don't understand is why the mute wire had to be grounded along with the parking break wire. With the parking break wire grounded I was able to get video through without the parking break being engaged. Of course I didn't try driving the vehicle with only the parking break grounded. Can someone explain what grounding of the mute wire is giving me? Also the other thing is the reverse signal wire and the speed sensor wire, with them both connected, I was getting a "Warning: the image may be reversed" on the screen and I couldn't get rid of it. I disconnecte the reverse wire and that went away. The thing I don't understand is without either of those wires connected, I was able to still use the GPS and it tracked my movement as I drove down the road. If someone could explain that one too that would be great. The only complaint so far beyond the normal irritations of it being a computer with computer typical behavior is the voice commands when making a call. I can make a phone call and dial by number and the system understands. If I try to dial by name from within the contacts list, it does not recognize. One of the contacts is simply labled "Home". So when it prompts me to say the name, I say, "Home" or "Call Home" it does not understand and suggest something from the iPod menue. Is there a software update that addresses this? The other thing I wanted to mention is the cable that connects the iPod with the system. It is said that you need to purchase the Pioneer CD-IU230V for this to work properly, no other cable will work. Well i took the chance and went out and bought the Apple Composite Cable for the iPod/iPhone and I must say, it works wonderfully. All in all I am happy with this system, glad I bought it.

This unit has GPS, so even if you bypass the parking brake line, the unit will know if you're moving. Without the Mute line moved and grounded you get a warning when you're going 10mph or faster saying that your wiring is incorrect (because who drives with teh parking brake on).

The reverse signal wire is used for the backup camera (if equipped). The screen will show the video input for the reverse camera and inverts the image to mimic looking through the rear view mirror, which is why it displays the warning. If you do not have a reverse camera, you do not need to hook up that line.

Speed sensor line i'm not sure of, but my guess would be it is used for low speed movement detection, GPS isn't very accurate at very low speeds.