AVIC411.com

BT Dial by name issues with iPhone or any other phone

Is there anyone out there having any issues making hands free calls to anyone on their contact list? I have tried an iPhone 3G, Samsung Impression, LG Rumor and a Sanyo SCP-8400. I can dial by number, I can perform any iPod command through VR, when I say the name to dial the system responds with "what was that"? I try it again, "I didn't understand", I try a third time and the system says, "Showing all albums". Also after I have transferred my contact list over to the radio, if I make any changes to the contact list on the phone and transfer the phone book again the radio does not show the update phone book even though I told it to overwrite the existing phone book. I have to disconnect the phone from the radio, delete the phone from the radio. I then have to pair the phone to the radio, connect, then transfer the contact list again for it to show the updated information. I have spoke to 3 pioneer technicians, the first said that it sounded like a defective HU and I should get it replaced. The second said it was an issue the iPhone and how the radio accesses the contact list from the iPhone and other phones download their contact list directly to the radio. I said "then why does the iPhone work with the Microsoft Sync technology and not the Parrott"? I went on the Parrott website and it says that it works with the iPhone. The 3rd guy I spoke to said it should work no matter what phone you use, I don't know what to believe anymore.

It is common for some people with the F/X series that VR just doesn't work properly. The whole series is just plagued with inconsistent problems that will probably never get fixed. You would probably be better off going with the Z110BT instead. It is a lot more solid unit.

I read the other thread that mentioned having special characters (like the &) in any of your contacts names. I went through my phone and fixed them. I took out everything except letters and numbers - no & signs, no dashes.

Also, to fix the readability of the contacts on the 910, I put the contact's first and last name on the Last Name: field in the phone. Now the contacts on the 910 are all listed the way I want.

Then I cleared my phone contacts and reloaded them to my X910. For the first time, I was able to use names! I called Home and Work and a couple others, all with no probems.

• 3 months later...

From VBLUE42:

"It is common for some people with the F/X series that VR just doesn't work properly. The whole series is just plagued with inconsistent problems that will probably never get fixed. You would probably be better off going with the Z110BT instead. It is a lot more solid unit."

What's your take on the new X920/Z120 series? Is there a difference in VR quality between those units? I thought the Z120 was basically the same unit as the X920, just with a bigger screen.

What's your take on the new X920/Z120 series? Is there a difference in VR quality between those units? I thought the Z120 was basically the same unit as the X920, just with a bigger screen.

They are the same unit as far as the software is concerned. Almost everything about the new Z/new X series is better then the previous F/X series units.