AVIC411.com

Definitive Emulation Guide

All,

Please don't take this post as complaining or anything remotely negative. It's merely a plea for consolidated information. I've been through dang near every post on these forums which contain the words 'emulator', 'emulate', 'windows cs' and 'emulation', and the one thing that I have realized is that there is not a definitive guide to emulating either the F series or the X series on Windows.

This thread does contain a working emulator, if you can download it:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26673&p=209788&hilit=avic_emulator#p209788

But it only seems to work for viewing the navigation app (iGo) and it's limited even then. I've made several attempts at loading the MainMenu app for both the F series and X series updates. The F series shows the menu, but you can't navigate past it. The X Series just seems to kill the Windows CE taskbar and does nothing else.

The wiki outlines a method here:

http://avic411.com/wiki/index.php/OS_Emulation

This does actually work for the F Series update. But it doesn't work correctly for the X series. This results in a 'We're Sorry...' error message upon executing MainMenu, Navi, etc. The Wiki doesn't state what the 'My Flash Drive' directory it references, should contain (F/X Series backup/update from pioneer, etc). Very nice instructions, and the inclusion of the links are invaluable, but it leaves out important information that I [think] it assumes the user already knows.

I've also not been able to find definitive information on whether we should be using the latest firmware update from pioneer, or an older backup of either the F series or X series software. I've read comments like 'the updates contain a full image of the original, with updates' which would lead me to believe that we can use the latest update download from Pioneer as the image/data to work from.

I'm really, really excited about all the possibilities these units offer in terms of modifications. And I desperately want to start modding and contributing to the community. I'm a Windows developer by trade and feel that I could contribute some great things - if only I could get started.

A thorough and definitive guide for emulating this unit on Windows would be invaluable, and something this community could benefit from greatly. If someone is willing to work with me on this, I will be more than happy to do all of the authoring. I just dont know where the right information is.

This is a call and a plea to those in the know.

• 7 months later...

Hy,

I have a problem with AVIC-F710BT (firmware 3.20200).

The wiki method does'nt work.

1. Download and install these:

1. Mobile Emulator

2. Windows Mobile 5 Emulator

3. Windows Mobile 6.1 Image

2. Create a new text document and call it "Launch Pioneer VM in 800x480.bat". Make sure you have show file extensions enabled in Windows.

3. Paste the information below into the batch file and save it.

"C:\program files\Microsoft Device Emulator\1.0\DeviceEmulator.exe" "C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\PocketPC\DeviceemulationV610\0409\PPC_USA.BIN" /memsize 256 /s "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP Emulator Images\pocketpc.dess" /tooltips ON /video 800x480x16 /vmname "Pioneer Emulator"

4. Run the file "Launch Pioneer VM in 800x480.bat"

5. It will take the VM a minute to boot. While it's booting...

6. Click File

7. Click Configure

8. In the "Shared Folder" box, browse to where you have your copy of "My Flash Disk" stored and select it.

9. Click OK

10. Click OK

11. By now, Windows Mobile should be fully booted.

12. Click the Start button in the top left corner

13. Click Programs

14. Click "File Explorer"

15. In the top left corner click the drop down arrow (in my case, it says my documents beside the arrow).

16. Select "Storage Card"

17. Double Click APL folder

18. Double Click Main Menu or Navi or Tel.

On step 18, when i click Main Menu, the message "A proble has occured with MaiMenu.exe" appears.

I have same problem with Navi or Tel

Can you help me ?

Thanks.

Kennely

I have been working with the emulator for a bit and it really sucks, especially that it only works on the Nav section. I found a solution when I upgraded to my X910bt from my F700bt. Instead of putting up the f700 for sale, I hooked it up to my computer using a ATX power supply and now I do all my mods on it without ever taking it to my car until it is 100% complete. I can actually view the AVIC screen when I am changing things on my 'Data.zip' on my computer. I find that this is a must when modding

Hi,

Only "Update.exe" work with this emulator.

I see :

APL. : 3.20.200

Data : 2.000100

CE Image 0.0.0.0 ==> 6.2.2.8

It means that AVIC-F710BT uses Windows CE 6.2 ?

At step 3, i downloaded Windows Mobile 6.1 Image.

I don't find Windows Mobile 6.2 Image.

• 3 months later...