AVIC411.com

AVIC D3 VS AVIC-X910BT

From the info that I've compiled, here's a few key points of comparison between the X910BT and the Z110BT (which is imho, similar to the D3)

Boot Times:

Z110BT - 10 seconds

X910BT - ~30 seconds

If you left an audio source running when the car was turned off:

Z110BT - ~5 seconds for audio

X910BT - ~10 seconds for audio

Z110BT apparently has better voice recognition software than the X910BT

Average costs of new unit from authorized online retailer (at the time of this post, without rebate):

Z110BT - $900 - $1000 US

X910BT - $800 US

Going through sites like CarToys.com and 6ave.com, you can play them against eachother and get the price down significantly. With pricematching/pricewars; Average cost of a new unit:

Z110BT - $900 US

X910BT - $600- $700 US

As for the D3, I'm still seeing people posting their units on craigslist for upwards of $600. Ludicrous when you consider what you can get new for the same cost.

At the time of this post, there are rebates available for both the Z110BT and X910BT:

Z110BT - $200 off from an authorized retailer

X910BT - $100 off from an authorized retailer

LCD Sizes:

Z110BT - 7"

D3 - 6.1"

X910BT - 5.8"

LCD Types:

Z110BT/X910BT - WVGA

D3 - QVGA

The big difference (anyone who gives a hoot about this on cell phones will understand) is that WVGA is just more readable, and a more vibrant display. The colors will look a lot better, and be more visible with more ambient light. WVGA screens tend to perform fairly well (not great) in direct sunlight as well.

You also have the fun little feature of different interface lighting for the button backlights with the newer models, as opposed to the D3. In addition, you'll be getting much newer mapping software.

And last but not least, you cannot deny the ability to mod the X910BT (the F series and X series in general). That's such a huge plus and is what sold me.

Thank you for your information. I ended up going with the X910BT from Amazon for like $522.00 shipped.

Now about this modding thing, any good links to information about this? Im big into modding my phone's (currently have a Moto Droid) and would be interested in doing so with the navi unit. :mrgreen:

Now about this modding thing, any good links to information about this?

There is lot's of information about modding on this site. But it's honestly a godawful mess of threads, outdated information, broken links and vague descriptions of solutions.

There are threads which range from old 2.0 series firmware for the F series (the F900BT preceded the X910BT in a round a bout way) to discussions about the Z series modding, and everything in between. There's nothing consolidated, and there aren't any 'color by number' easy directions to follow. Pleas for that sort of thing go unanswered (http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31045)

I'm working on combining all of the relevant information about modding the F/X series into something concise and easy to understand for beginners, but I'm not quite done with it. Not necessarily a manual, more of a guide. One of the things that I'm going to cover is what I really think newcomers' first step should be with regard to modding: understand just what the hell it is, and what you're doing to your unit :) I'm still working it out, but it seems like most of the modding techniques for the F series are identical to the X series. That is to say, a mod for the F will usually work for the X.

After having a D3 in my Vette for nearly 2 years and living without it for the last year (sold the vette Feb 09) I decided to take the plunge with a x910 and I can tell Pioneer has been doing it's work with the upgrades... It is night and day with the ipod function and voice recognition (just to name 2 upgrades)... If you have any question on which unit to get, don't hesitate on the x910, it's far superior to the D3 (except maybe for the boot up time, but I can wait 30 secs while my car gets warm).