AVIC411.com

Voice Control gone, HDD/CD distorted

Bought car with Z2 already installed. Had Ipod adapter and bluetooth. I just added XM (GEX-P10XMT). XM works perfect, now voice command is silent, music from HDD and CD is distorted beyond recognition. Bluetooth connects, but no sound. Voice mute not on, screen beeps, and nav seems works fine. Ipod adapter works too. Just Voice command and HDD/CD. I did level 4 reboot with no effect.

Did I damage the HDD?

Ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Just to clarify, is it Voice Recognition or Text-To-Speech that is not working for you?

It is always possible that the hard drive is going out but this would not explain why your CD music is also garbled, so I'm leaning towards something like the master control board inside the unit is possibly fried.

When the device is talking to you it's called Text-To-Speech. :)

I don't think your problem is your hard-drive. The more I think about it, if it was your hard-drive your maps and everything would be ALL messed up. I'm not sure exactly what it could be, nor am I able to think of anything else you could to troubleshoot besides the resets (which you've done) or pulling the unit apart and looking for blown components.

Is the unit getting enough power?

Thanks for your insight. I agree, the problem is so specific it feels more like something on the order of a control board.

Question: early on I was looking for the reset button and accidentally pushed it while the unit was on. Do you think that that could have caused the damage? It made an ugly pop.

The reset button itself shouldn't damage anything.

A pop (at least in computers... I'm a computer guy) is usually indicative to a capacitor blowing. You might try looking through the threads here that detail taking the unit apart and seeing if anything is blown, if you're comfortable with that sort of thing.