AVIC411.com

Computer on 700bt

I have read about many different hacks, modifications, and bypass for the 700; I tried many of them. I was more concerned with the system bypass then realize the capability of my 700. I read where people were turning their units into carputers and thought I give it a spin because I get into things like that. But the more I scour the forum, I saw that more people had questions than answers. I think I really was more afraid of something bad happening to unit than anything else.

Anyways, I had a laptop that the screen broke on and I just decided to put it in my vehicle. The reason, is that I hacked my unit already so I can search the net but my unit ran really slow after completing the hack. The task was simple, all I did was run a cord from my laptop video output to the backup camera. Also, I ran a 'push button' switch next to my 700 so I wouldn't have to go the laptop to power it on. I also, had to mess with my desktop icons and my internet explorer settings but everything came in really clear. The video settings it on 1024x768 which really makes things look sharp. I went to Compusa and bought a mini-keyboard that has a mouse on it. I used my HTC Touch 2 as my form of internet and my signal doesn't go in and out as most other people's signals have been doing.

To me this was much easier and faster, with less headache. I will post pictures (as soon as I figure out how). Also, I have to re-shoot the video that I have because it was too dark and put it on youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, the Avic is a touch screen, so instead of a keyboard / mouse, why not install touchscreen software? My laptop is all touchscreen. The software is by HP. This is an excellent idea and in my view is a much better solutionn as it widens the possibilities. How did you hook up the power switch though, from the computer to your car?

I ran into a bit of problem when I first installed my laptop. I had to manually turn on the laptop each time I got into my car. So, I had to figure out how to fix the problem. So essentially I had to reroute the power button on my laptop to dash. I went to Radio Shack and got a basic push button power switch. I then ran two wires from the push button to the laptop. I soldered the wires into the board where the power switch is located. This definitely has helped out tremendously.

FYI...I'm working on to rerouting my front AV input to a rear AV input. I saw this link on youtube and I'm going to try it.

Here ya go, a few guys have been using these for their computers they have installed in their vehicles. Should hopefully work great on a modded AVIC if you have Blue Tooth--> http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards ... vices/3848

The carputers I have read about mount a mini desktop pc under the seat all wired etc and then run to an lcd screen mounted in place of the radio. SOunds like you got it working on the avic though. Very cool.