AVIC411.com

Parking Brake error message after hooking up ILL Wire. Help!

I was not happy with the Pioneer iPod interface (CD-IB100II) so I bought a iPod audio/video cable and decided to use that connected through the Z1's RCA Connector 1. I removed the Pioneer iPod interface and installed the A/V cable and connector 1. The only changes I made were the following:

I clipped the CD-IB100II power cable and unplugged the interface cable from the Z1.

Also, since my '07 Explorer Sport Trac has auto headlights the dimming feature of the Z1 never worked.

I read from another Sport Trac owner that installed the Z1 also that he attached a wire from where the shifter Park Reverse Neutral Drive lights up when the headlights come on to the ILL wire of the Z1.

I did this from the same connection where the orange/white Z1 wire is connected to the Red wire on the Ducati Flasher.

Now I am getting the message in the picture. I can still route on the fly but I can no longer play a dvd while driving. I know this is not needed and could be dangerous but I want it back to the way it was before I made the above wiring change.

Any ideas on how I can get it back to how it was before and still have the dimming feature working?

post-490-12872751364355_thumb.jpg

I was not happy with the Pioneer iPod interface (CD-IB100II) so I bought a iPod audio/video cable and decided to use that connected through the Z1's RCA Connector 1. I removed the Pioneer iPod interface and installed the A/V cable and connector 1. The only changes I made were the following:

I clipped the CD-IB100II power cable and unplugged the interface cable from the Z1.

I hope you taped up any exposed wires.

Also, since my '07 Explorer Sport Trac has auto headlights the dimming feature of the Z1 never worked.

That's not why it never worked. It never worked cause you didn't hook the white input wire of my circuit to a wire that went to 12V when the lights came on. Worse comes to worse, you can tap off the + tail light bulb wire. But I'm sure there is an appropriate wire in the dash somewhere.

I read from another Sport Trac owner that installed the Z1 also that he attached a wire from where the shifter Park Reverse Neutral Drive lights up when the headlights come on to the ILL wire of the Z1.

That could very well be an appropriate wire. Something that "turns on" when the lights are on (either by auto or manual switch). That could very well work. You would want to hook that to the white input of my circuit.

I did this from the same connection where the orange/white Z1 wire is connected to the Red wire on the Ducati Flasher.

Wow, I'm confused. What is what wire hooked to?

Now I am getting the message in the picture. I can still route on the fly but I can no longer play a dvd while driving. I know this is not needed and could be dangerous but I want it back to the way it was before I made the above wiring change.

Any ideas on how I can get it back to how it was before and still have the dimming feature working?

Well that's very weird. I don't know what you wired up or how you did it.

You can get rid of that message with a reset from the recessed button to the right of the eject button. That will get rid of it, but if the parking brake is thought to be on when you drive around, it will come back. Is the parking brake registering as ON in the connection status screen? If it is, the it will just come back when you start driving again.

I really would like some more clarification on to what you wired to what. I'm very confused. :)

I hope you taped up any exposed wires.

Yes I did.

That's not why it never worked. It never worked cause you didn't hook the white input wire of my circuit to a wire that went to 12V when the lights came on. Worse comes to worse, you can tap off the + tail light bulb wire. But I'm sure there is an appropriate wire in the dash somewhere.

I didn't do the original install. I paid a local car electronics place to install the Z1 and the iPod adapter. Later on I found out that this was a mistake when I opened up the dash to install the Bluetooth Adapter. They didn't do a great job, I should have just done it myself. I did give them the picture of you instructions, so I assumed that a pro car audio electronics guy could do it correctly. http://avic411.com/forum/files/headligh ... on_214.jpg

That could very well be an appropriate wire. Something that "turns on" when the lights are on (either by auto or manual switch). That could very well work. You would want to hook that to the white input of my circuit.

So if the original installer hooked up your flasher correctly then I can do what you said above and all should be back to normal with the dimming working? I hope.

Wow, I'm confused. What is what wire hooked to?

I'm getting confused too. I will investigate more and answer your questions more fully.

Well that's very weird. I don't know what you wired up or how you did it.

You can get rid of that message with a reset from the recessed button to the right of the eject button. That will get rid of it, but if the parking brake is thought to be on when you drive around, it will come back.

Is the parking brake registering as ON in the connection status screen? If it is, the it will just come back when you start driving again.

I will check that and get back to you.

I really would like some more clarification on to what you wired to what. I'm very confused. :)

....... to be continued ..... thanks for your help. :)

The parking brake is registering as ON in the connection status screen. Do you think that is from the connection I made? I cant see how that could happen.

I guess my next step is to disconnect the wire that I hooked up and connect it to the white wire on your circuit.

Another question: If I use that reset button will it go back to the default settings? Will I lose any information (addresses, songs, phone numbers)?

The parking brake is registering as ON in the connection status screen. Do you think that is from the connection I made? I cant see how that could happen.

I don't know either. I'm not sure exactly what you did.

I guess my next step is to disconnect the wire that I hooked up and connect it to the white wire on your circuit.

I would look at the light green wire from the Z1. If the parking brake is registering on, check the parking brake itself, is it on just a bit? If engaging and disengaging the parking brake doesn't change the status, check the light green wire, it's most likely just grounded. You want to disconnect that.

Another question: If I use that reset button will it go back to the default settings? Will I lose any information (addresses, songs, phone numbers)?

No that reset won't lose anything. Only level 2-4 levels will lose info.

Once I disconnected what I hooked up in the first place I powered up the Z1 and I still got the parking brake error message but now the parking brake is registering as OFF in the connection status screen.

I checked that the brake is not pressed down just a little. I pressed it down and made sure it is fully released. (It is the pedal type on the floor not the handle type that is in the center console).

I hooked up your circuit they way you said with the white wire going the wire I said above and the dimming works. The original installer had it connected to something else, I don't know what, it was orange with a white stripe and looked to be going into the vehicles harness.

I do remember him saying that I didn't need your flasher and all he had to do was ground out the parking brake wire. I'm sure he had no idea what your flasher did and also had no idea about flashing the lights and all that. I tried explaining but he was not interested in listening. I also think that he had not installed any Z1's and mine was the first. He had installed many of their other models.

Now I have to find out what is going on with the parking brake wire. I am going back outside to check what the light green wire is hooked into. What should I connect it to? Do it the way the Z1 instructions say to the positive side of the parking brake? Or does it need to be grounded out? If so grounded out to what?

thanks!

Once I disconnected what I hooked up in the first place I powered up the Z1 and I still got the parking brake error message but now the parking brake is registering as OFF in the connection status screen.

Once that message comes up it will keep coming up till you reset the unit with the recessed button to the right of eject. It's ok, you won't lose anything.

I checked that the brake is not pressed down just a little. I pressed it down and made sure it is fully released. (It is the pedal type on the floor not the handle type that is in the center console).

I hooked up your circuit they way you said with the white wire going the wire I said above and the dimming works.

Excellent!

The original installer had it connected to something else, I don't know what, it was orange with a white stripe and looked to be going into the vehicles harness.

Usually that's an appropriate wire, but I guess not in this case.

I do remember him saying that I didn't need your flasher and all he had to do was ground out the parking brake wire. I'm sure he had no idea what your flasher did and also had no idea about flashing the lights and all that. I tried explaining but he was not interested in listening. I also think that he had not installed any Z1's and mine was the first. He had installed many of their other models.

Yep, he just wasn't aware. I get a lot of emails from people whose installers said the same thing, then they install my circuit.

Now I have to find out what is going on with the parking brake wire. I am going back outside to check what the light green wire is hooked into. What should I connect it to? Do it the way the Z1 instructions say to the positive side of the parking brake? Or does it need to be grounded out? If so grounded out to what?

thanks!

Just disconnect that parking brake sense wire (light green from the Z1) from whatever it's connected to. It shouldn't be connected to anything. Reset the unit and you will be good to go.

I reset the Z1 and everything is good. the message is gone. The installer had the parking brake wire grounded out.

Thanks for all your help!

Yah, having the parking brake grounded all the time is not good (at least for Z1's that use my circuit) with it not connected to anything it will work better for you. You won't get that message any more and everything will work all the time.