AVIC411.com

Newb Here: I have no idea what I am getting myself into here

hey gang,

just thought i'd drop in, say hi, and get the ball rolling.

i just ordered a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT for 2009 Toyota Tacoma Sport from Crutchfield.

.....and to honest i know absolutely nothing about these things.

did a little research on the features i wanted. had a friend narrow down my search. and i pulled the trigger.

with that said, it comes in two days from now and i want to have it installed within the next week.

that leaves me little time to wrap my brain around what i need to ask an installer to do, so i come here for your advice.

I'm fairly up to date with technology terminology as I work in the IT industry, but have never ventured into the realm of car modding or electrical engineering, therefore i will have to have someone install this for me!

here's what it comes with:

- AVIC-Z110BT Reciever

- Pioneer CD-IU50V Multimedia USB iPod Cable

- Toyota Tacoma Kit 2005-up, E Black(?)

- Toyota/Geo Wire Harness receiver

here's what i want:

- speed/brake bypass so i can insert nav directions while driving and passengers can watch video.

- backup camera connected(already displays in rear view mirror)

- steering wheel controls to work with reciever

my questions:

- how do i go about finding an installer who is willing to install it to my instructions in Houston, TX?

- where will my iPod go when connected to the reciever?

- any other questions or instructions i should give to the installer?

- am i missing anything, parts wise?

Thanks in Advance!

I am weary of installers, to be honest.

I have a 1992 4Runner and took it to Best Buy to get my Z2 installed, and I'm STILL fixing their screw-ups 3 years later. I know they aren't "professional" installers but ever since then, I've taken my dash apart so many times that I'm comfortable doing so anyway, so I might as well just install the next one myself you know?

Installers, professional or not, are struck off my list forever. I would recommend grabbing a 12-pack, a crimping set, and a multimeter and going at this yourself.

And jay, it's normally considered bad form around here to send a new guy to another forum for something we could help them with ourselves, especially when THEY'RE sending all their new guys HERE.

haha, thanks Captain...

if this were a computer, i'd of taken the thing apart already while downing a 12 pack, and played with the components....but this here truck is my baby and i don't even know where to start.

i just don't know how to go about asking one of these shops to do what i need done. no comfortable way of asking, but i am not buying a nav unit to not be able to change directions on the fly, so it's got to be done.

i'm also get HID conversion kits installed on my headlights, so i might as well take it to a professional shop.

i didn't come from tacomaworld, fwiw.

just happened to find this forum board by googling.

Well you'll be happy to know I'm a network engineer and headunits are cake once you learn all the wiring codes. :)

What you want done is pretty simple but if you prefer to take it to an installer, it's your vehicle.

Most installers will not install the bypass for you, it is too much of a liability for their shop. But, like I said, it's pretty simple to do so we could walk you through it.

Everything else is do-able and any shop worth the money you're paying them should be able to take care of you.

These guys seem to get pretty good reviews: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... CA4QnQIwAA

Good luck, if you need any more help don't be afraid to ask and use search.

haha, that's awesome. nerds unite! i'm a server engineer myself, but my work experience and certifications are all networking. I 'd much rather work with the network than sit here and rdp into servers all day.

so, if i find a shop that will install it, say the one you linked to,.....after the install is done can i go back in and do the bypass? with yall's guidance of course

and is it just pioneer retail shops who won't do the bypass or pretty much any installer shop?

thanks again captain, :bow:

Yeah you can do it after the fact. I did just that myself since Best Buy wouldn't do the bypass for me. Pretty much any "reputable" installer will say no if you ask. The bypass is technically against the law since it gives the driver the ability to view video while driving.

Honestly though, the hardest part of doing the bypass is taking the dash off and (on the Z110BT) getting the darn wires out of the harness. The Z1/2/3 harness is a lot easier but there are videos on Youtube for the Z110 that explains how to do it.

And jay, it's normally considered bad form around here to send a new guy to another forum for something we could help them with ourselves, especially when THEY'RE sending all their new guys HERE.

Yea this sh*t rubbed me the wrong way as well.

Update:

One last set of questions....for now anyways.

So I found this place http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6650

Called them. Nice guys. Said the installation would cost me $75.

I asked him if I needed to look elsewhere for the bypass.

He said no, he would do it for $45 more.

Cool.

Plus it's right down the road from where I work.

Only issue is he said he can't connect the factory backup camera too the unit and the steering wheel controlls to work with the deck will cost me another $125. that sound right?

Question: Where will i connnect my ipod to the Z110BT? like in the glove box? then bin between the seats?

You need to buy the PAC SWI-PS harness in order for the steering wheel controls to work, I imagine with such a high price the shop is quoting you for the part as well. Ask them how much JUST labor to install it would cost, and then check this link: http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-PS-Steeri ... 713&sr=8-2

There are members on the forums that have found the specs on the box for the proper resistor are wrong, and this causes lag. The website says to use a 560 ohm resistor, and the box (if I remember correctly) says to use a 120 or something like that. It was in the hundreds, that I am sure of.

As a side note, if/when you order the harness, check to make sure you got version 1.6.8. This version allows you to use VR and bluetooth from the steering wheel. There are two reasons I recommend buying the harness yourself: you can guarantee that you will get the latest and greatest and not some junker stock the shop needs to move out the door, and you will probably save some dough in the end.

Print this out and take it to your installer: http://archive.pac-audio.com/swixprogra ... les&ID=354

Ok, onto other parts of your question. lol I know this is running long :mrgreen:

The $75 he quoted you for an install sounds pretty good! I was honestly surprised by that. Make sure he connects your illumination and VSS wires. There is a trend on this forum of installers not connecting those two, for whatever reason (laziness, I imagine). I am a victim of this myself. When he installs the bypass, make sure there's no funny business with kill switches and crap. Lots of installers will put in a switch for people who don't know better, and then they come here when it stops working because they didn't wire things correctly. Maybe you should print out the bypass instructions and take those in too, just to be sure.

I don't know much about the camera but it sounds about right to me. If the source is already going to the mirror, then I don't imagine they could make it also go to the headunit. I could be wrong about this since I'm not knowledgeable on backup cams.

And the ipod, like vblue already said, can go anywhere you darn well please, as long as the cable will reach. A lot of people put it in the glovebox so they can lock it in there when they leave the vehicle unattended.

I'm sorry if my hatred of installers offends anybody reading this, but I really have just been jaded horribly by my experience with them.

also,

i bought the steering wheel connector, but my steering wheel only comes equipped with 5 buttons. Vol Up, Vol Down, Track Up, Track Dwn, and Mode....no BT.

my BT is in the overhead console. i just press the button and it prompts me for a response. I assume the pioneer has bluetooth as well? what would be the benefit of using it over the one already stock?

The steering wheel control thing is a easy one. You can "train" the PAC to do any of its 14 or so operations with any of your 5 buttons. Meaning simply this leave vol up, vol down, track up, and track down as they are and program your mode button to be your voice recongition button. If you want to change modes you can do this from the VR function. Make sense????

When you say your BT is in your overhead console I'm unsure exactly what you mean. Yes the unit has BT and your stock radio is likely providing your factory BT. So once you take the factory radio out you would lose the factory BT. With the Pioneer BT all you have to do is add the mic. I have an 2008 4 runner which should be roughly the same interior and I ran my Pioneer mic to my overhead center console, drilled a hole in one of the push lights, and placed the mic there. I can post a pic in a day or so if you would like.

Not my truck but i found this pic on the net. I'm talking about the push lamps at the very top of this pic.

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/9 ... terior.jpg