AVIC411.com

NAV System signal strength

While traveling home last night my NAV system would not recognize roads I was travelling on. It did recognize them when I was travelling to the destination. My GPS signal is somewhat weak. I don't understand the symbols which indicate one Orange and one yellow satellite icon in the GPS Ant status . I have 1 bar on signal strength. I guess I also don't understand the satellite data that is received. Aren't the maps internal to the unit? If so why would the maps display a road at one time and not another. My cars position on the maps appears accurate. My antenna is located under the dash pad above the Z110's HU. I would have to remove the HU to get to the antenna so I would rather not have to do that if not necessary. I mounted it there based on another members experience with that location indicating signal strength was adequate for him. Below is a picture another member posted but shows the same satellite information I am asking about. My signal strength does have 1 bar.

GPSphoto.jpg

While traveling home last night my NAV system would not recognize roads I

Edit: Deleted image - maybe this will be my last edit...

As the previous poster explained, move your antenna.

I found for the new Gen Prius, I could just stick it to the top of the Nav. But - when I added XM, the XM did not like it on top of the nav (when moving) - so I moved each to a nice sky friendly location (meaning they can watch the stars - not meaning they can watch "stars" such as BamBam kitty).

I did some research to better understand how a NAV system works. As I stated my location on the maps was accurate. It was the maps lack of roads in the area I was travelling that was poor. I have since written Pioneer but if I had it to do over I would buy a system that uses Garmin maps. My Garmin NUVI 855W had taken me to the same location with no problem and had all the roads displayed on it's map. My is not impressed with my expensive "upgrade".

You are not going to get 100% detailed maps on these type units. These units have 50 other things that it also does and they all need equal support so to speak. If you want 100% detail on your route and or maps then get a dedicated gps unit. Something that only does GPS.