AVIC411.com

What are the known issues with X920 (or X910)?

I am the frustrated owner of an F90BT. When the unit is working properly (but rarely), I love the system. However, I am my second unit (first had to be sent to Pioneer 4 times until they replaced it with a refurbished one) and now it just enters in a constant reboot. I've looked at other companies but Pioneer seems to have the best system if they can make a stable one. So, I am hoping that the issue I am having with this unit are because it is a first generation and that the newer units are more stable, more responsive, and process quicker (i.e. loading a 2GB SD). Could you please let me know what are some of the common issues with the X920 & X910 and if the problems with the f90bt have been resolved with these? Thanks.

There are no common issues between the 910 and 920 and the units don't even run the same software or OS. The navi software on the 920 is a little less featured then that of the 910 but other then that, the 920 is a far more stable unit. There is one bug that requires you to be sure to hit the map OK button before BT connects in order to effectively use the VR but other then that you should be good with a 920.

Here's a known issue that VBlue mentioned in another thread where you cannot use voice commands to dial contacts:

"The problem is related to the BT connecting before the map OK button is pressed. In this case, when you get in your car, just go to the BT contact transfer screen and re-transfer your contacts. That should clear up the issue."

I have an AVIC-X920BT. If the unit was previously on the XM source, the next time you start the unit sometimes the station icons do not appear on the presets on the right side of the screen. Instead the default satellite icon is shown. Rotating through XM1 -> XM2 -> XM3 seems to fix this.

While these are not known issues, I would consider them annoyances:

1. There are no voice commands to change presets or preset lists for any radio source

2. You cannot change preset lists in quick succession. If you press XM1, you have to wait maybe 5 seconds before pressing XM2 or the unit will ignore the second button press.

3. If you are listing to an XM station and then bring up the list of stations, it always starts from the beginning. It would be nicer if the list started from the station you are currently on.

4. Unlike the iPod lists, the XM station list can only be scrolled exactly one page at a time, and each page takes about 3 seconds to load.

5. There is no way to scroll the album, artist, or title displays.

6. The FM tuner has RDS support, which is great; however, it is pointlessly jammed into a tiny space on the screen. It rotates through the station ID and song. Unfortunately the FM presets also update with this information, so instead of having a preset which says "KISS FM" it will randomly say "Nirvana" or "Pearl Jam" or whatever happened to be playing the last time you tuned to that station.

7. The navigation voice does not announce all street names, even if it knows the street name.

8. The balance controls do not seem to affect either the phone or navigation voice.

Not that I regret buying the unit, but I wouldn't complain if Pioneer created an update to fix these :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at RDS support in the store demo, also disappointed with the little space used to display the info. Seems like the lower end Pioneer models do RDS better - devoting two lines. Wish they would fix it, minor. I was wondering about the street names, wonder why it isn't always say them. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered it. Can't wait till it comes. I am a new Pioneer user, so bottom line I still felt this was night and day ahead of competitors and maybe not worth the extra money they will be asking for the Z120. I did go ahead and install Pandora (just came out) on the iPod Touch.