AVIC411.com

n2 into 89 maxima.. issues galore

alrighty, installing an n2 into my buddies car and this thing keeps giving my troubles..

he got this thing from best buy as an open item and it did not come with the antenna.. antenna is on order, but was hoping to get everything else up and running in the meantime.

first off, i'm gonna assume that the 3d calibration will not funtion without the gps antenna installed? i found what i'm pretty sure is the vss wire (green wire in instrument cluster, climbing AC with speed..) and after tapping into it i took it for a quick drive.. under 3d calibration mode it was registering the speed pulses, but never did anything with the info.. just kept counting up while i was driving. i'm guessing this is because it can't cross reference the info with gps info? if what i'm thinking is true, then i'm ok.. if this is supposed to work without gps i guess i'm in trouble. any ideas?

secondly, the parking brake issue.. i've got the thing grounded, but everytime i switch the car off and back on again, i get the "no video in motion" error.. i know it's not motion activated cuz the car is sitting still. in order to get it to work again i have to disconnect the lead from ground and then reconnect it. any ideas here? i tried wiring it up to a relay triggered off the remote wire, but i'm still getting the same message. getting kinda frustrating..

on top of all this, i also need some help with the headunit mod itself.. when the sticker is removed, i'm not seeing anything saying r197 (i think that's what it is.. regardless, there is no writing anyways) .. all i see is what appears to be the outline of a switch? like perhaps this thing was repaired with the board from an n3, but without the switch.. anyways, i figure this one will have to wait until i can get a pic up.. unless someone has seen it before and knows what i'm talking about.

sorry for the long post.. just trying to give as much pertinant info as possible. thanks for any help on this..

alrighty, installing an n2 into my buddies car and this thing keeps giving my troubles..

he got this thing from best buy as an open item and it did not come with the antenna.. antenna is on order, but was hoping to get everything else up and running in the meantime.

first off, i'm gonna assume that the 3d calibration will not funtion without the gps antenna installed? i found what i'm pretty sure is the vss wire (green wire in instrument cluster, climbing AC with speed..) and after tapping into it i took it for a quick drive.. under 3d calibration mode it was registering the speed pulses, but never did anything with the info.. just kept counting up while i was driving. i'm guessing this is because it can't cross reference the info with gps info? if what i'm thinking is true, then i'm ok.. if this is supposed to work without gps i guess i'm in trouble. any ideas?

If it's registering a speed pulse then you'll be ok once you get the gps antenna. The unit will calculate based on gps and internal gyros for a short time but it needs to acquire a signal at somepoint to be useful.

secondly, the parking brake issue.. i've got the thing grounded, but everytime i switch the car off and back on again, i get the "no video in motion" error.. i know it's not motion activated cuz the car is sitting still. in order to get it to work again i have to disconnect the lead from ground and then reconnect it. any ideas here? i tried wiring it up to a relay triggered off the remote wire, but i'm still getting the same message. getting kinda frustrating..

Search is your friend been discussed to death.

on top of all this, i also need some help with the headunit mod itself.. when the sticker is removed, i'm not seeing anything saying r197 (i think that's what it is.. regardless, there is no writing anyways) .. all i see is what appears to be the outline of a switch? like perhaps this thing was repaired with the board from an n3, but without the switch.. anyways, i figure this one will have to wait until i can get a pic up.. unless someone has seen it before and knows what i'm talking about.

See above

sorry for the long post.. just trying to give as much pertinant info as possible. thanks for any help on this..

Not a problem. Welcome to the site.

thanks... the only thing i can find about the parking brake wire is that i need to use a switch, and that's teh_gheyness. there has to be some way of doing this in an automated fashion.. i would have assumed that the remote turn on lead would only show 12v after the system had booted up.. if so, that signal should be able to kick over a relay to ground that pesky wire. this way the unit would only see the ground after boot up was complete, which is what it wants. guess i'll have to play around with that a bit more then..

[rant]

one thing that drives me absolutely insane about forums is searching for frequently asked topics.. you ask for help, then you're told that the answer has been covered a million times so you should search.. then you do the search and you're rewarded with a list of about 100 threads that all contain the same answer.. search. trying to find the one friggin thread that actually has the answer sucks.

if it's been asked a million times, why is it not in some type of FAQ sticky or something? or, if it's a short answer, just answer the question.. how much harder is that? let's see..

search is your friend, been covered a million times..

try resetting the unit, or install a switch..

wow, the answer took less typing.. also, it makes that much easier to find the answer for someone who decides to give search a try first.

oh well, just the way forums are i guess.. i'll tell ya one thing though, when i get my installer forum up and running, i'm gonna suspend anyone that replies with "search" ..

[/rant]

hahahahaha..

On your display unit, remove the small silver rectangular sticker from the bottom. Solder the two dots you have just exposed together or use a circuit tracing pen (available at radio shack). Ground the light green parking brake wire from the N2 and that will bypass all video lockouts. Done.