AVIC411.com

x910BT Stops "Looking" For GPS Signal

I have an x910BT that I installed about a week ago in an '03 Nissan Altima.

I have the GPS antenna mounted inside the car, above the dash, as close as possible to the front center of the windshield. When I start the car, the x910BT claims that it can find a GPS signal just fine -- even when started inside a parking garage -- and will let me start navigating a route. However, after about 10 minutes of driving I lose GPS signal (the GPS "radar-style" status screen goes to three yellow lights).

In order to get signal back, I have to either power cycle the unit (by turning off the car and turning it back on again) or reset the unit with the reset button on the front. Immediately after the reset or the power cycle, the GPS works again. It's as if the unit temporarily loses signal (when passing under a bridge, etc.) and then refuses to check for signal again until the unit gets restarted. Very aggravating.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on here?

I'm going to experiment with different antenna locations, but TomTom and iPhone get very accurate GPS signals from inside my vehicle perfectly fine. Though that may be because the iPhone can triangulate with cell towers and the $100 TomTom uses more advanced antenna technology than a $500 Pioneer unit...

The only mod I'm running is the safety override (mute signal wire switched and grounded with the parking brake input grounded). I've connected the speed sensor wire. That mod seems to be working fine -- I can adjust whatever I want at speed and I haven't gotten any errors.

Any help would be much-appreciated!!

Bump/update...

So this problem occurs even when the antenna is mounted on the roof (I ran the wire out the window and temporarily mounted it on the roof as a test). Mostly happens after passing under bridges/wires when traveling in a northerly direction.

Gotta be a software bug --anyone have any ideas to get GPS back without doing a power cycle (while driving, ugh) or a reset (also sucks)?

This is my 2nd Pioneer Navi/HU in 5 years. I just graduated from a D2. With both units I've found myself wishing I could find the nearest Pioneer engineer and kick them in the taint. SOOOO many bugs in these very expensive units...

besides checking different antenna locations also be sure to check the antenna and antenna wiring itself. its possible the wire is damaged or pinched somewhere behind the dash. also check to make sure it is secure on the back of the radio. there is always a possibility that the antenna will look find but can still be "bad" which would require getting a new antenna.

with so many X910s out there and since this is the first time ive heard this i would bet it is not a sofrware issue but instead a hardware issue particular to your setup.