AVIC411.com

help me pick my upgrade

so i just saw a x920 at a shop and i was impressed with how much faster it is than my f700. so its gotten me wanting an upgrade. the x920 looks great but i do have the option of upgrading my f700 with the new firmware (ya still havnt done it). not money is tight so the update would be very doable but i dont want to waste the money if it doesnt make that much of a difference. i am used to most of the drawbacks of the f700 im just annoyed with how slow it is, the bluetooth has several bugs that come up almost every time and the start up time.

i have been reading around here a lot since i got this unit but i still need your help deciding.

and now that i think of it, if the z110 has much better SQ i could just wait a while and go with that. SQ is a big concern for me but the brands known for SQ just dont do enough, unless you know of one that i might want to look at.

F series and X series are completely different. I mean, 100%. Different hardware, different underlying software. And the x920BT is different still even from the 910bt. They should have changed the series but what can you do.

You'll never get an F series to look like or run like the x series. Whether the update is worth it for you or not I couldn't say but if you're thinking it will put you a little closer to what the 920bt offers it will not. From what I understand the Nav on the F is better (better being subjective) but the interface and music features on the x920 blow it away. For me, coming from OEM Nav systems that Nissan uses the x920BT Nav is great, better than what Nissan offers anyway, so your mileage may vary.

SQ wise I don't know enough about the F series to comment. The x920bt has 2.4v pre-amp outputs which is kind of a sore point with me as that is fairly weak; with a good high-powered amp you'd need to either jack up the line levels on the amp to compensate (increasing distortion) or buy a separate pre-amp/line driver like the Audiosource Maxtrix, which will drive up to 9v on pre-amp and send your amp a perfect signal. Really it depends on your amp; if you are using a smaller one, say less than 1000w total for your system, you probably aren't gonna care either way.

The Z110bt/Z120BT in addition to the larger screen have 4v pre-amp outputs, a little better but still not that great. They also have a couple extra EQ settings and an additional video out for external screens, really other than the slightly larger screen it's nothing major over the x920BT.

From what I've seen of the F series in stores compared to the x920BT I have the x920BT is the hands-down no contest winner in the interface department, it has some minor quirks but if you like to listen to music off your iPod it is far and away the better choice.

F series and X series are completely different. I mean, 100%. Different hardware,

This is absolutely Incorrect. The F series and the previous X series are exactly the same unit. The difference is the 2.0 software in the F series and the 3.0 software in the X series. The 3.0 software can be purchased for an F series unit which will bring it to an X series. The F series can only be upgraded to the X series but not updated. An upgrade will always cost you something and usually add new maps and may add new features from the previous series. Updates are free and usually are responsible for fixing issues and bugs that are identified in the software.

And the x920BT is different still even from the 910bt. They should have changed the series but what can you do.

This is absolutely correct. The X920BT actually has nothing to do with the previous X series and runs completely different software and shares absolutely no similarities to the previously X series. The 920BT actually runs the same software as the Z120BT.