AVIC411.com

Hello everyone,

I have searched and read where people talk about the poor FM quality of this unit. I was about to pull mine out and send it back to Pioneer, but am I wasting my time? My vehicle does not have a power antenna, so I did not hook it up. (2006 Ford F-250) I had the D2 before this with no problems, but this things fades in and out. Every other function works fine, but not the FM reception. Any ideas?

Thanks,

BHodge

Most cars/trucks nowadays have power antennas. That does not mean power as in it goes up and comes down - it means your antenna likely has as amplifier somewhere near the antenna. This needs power.

I suggest you check, then double check, then triple check this. I had similar issues, but once I connected the 'blue wire' to the corresponding wire on the Scosche (or Metra) wiring kit, everything fell into place.

It's that, or just a bad antenna connection.

I get very good reception now. I'm in a remote area of So Cal, and nothing is perfect - but this is a good bit better than our Lexus GX470 or my last CFC Xterra... It blows away the reception of the stock stereo that comes with the 2010 Prius.

Go Blue!

Thank you all for the replies. This is the third unit that I have installed in this truck. It is a 2006 F250. I have never used any type of "power antenna" lead and the FM bands have worked perfect. Should I try a FM signal booster? The prior untis were a D2 and an Eclipse AVN5435. Is the tuner in this radio inferior?

Thanks,

Bhodge

Thank you all for the replies. This is the third unit that I have installed in this truck. It is a 2006 F250. I have never used any type of "power antenna" lead and the FM bands have worked perfect. Should I try a FM signal booster? The prior untis were a D2 and an Eclipse AVN5435. Is the tuner in this radio inferior?

Thanks,

Bhodge

You can use signal boosters till you are blue in the face (a reference to the blue wire). A signal booster will do absolutely nothing but boost the signal - noise and all. I've tried them before for other radios.

I know most Ford products from your era use an antenna amp - it's called an EHAM (Electronic hidden antenna module).

Now go connect the wire.

I worked late, so I did not get a chance to pull the radio out and check. Here is the color codes listed for my truck and the Power Antenna show N/A. So, I assume I don't have an EHAM?

Thanks,

Bhodge

2006 Ford F250 Car Stereo Wiring Color Codes

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Light Green/Violet

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Pink

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Light Green

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Light Blue/Red

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Light Green

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue/White

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Light Green

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Orange

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A

Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Light Blue

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Tan/Yellow

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Red

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Pink

I worked late, so I did not get a chance to pull the radio out and check. Here is the color codes listed for my truck and the Power Antenna show N/A. So, I assume I don't have an EHAM?

Thanks,

Bhodge

2006 Ford F250 Car Stereo Wiring Color Codes

k

I would only say don't assume... Otherwise you have a bad antenna / antenna connection (when you remove them, and move around wires, you can create an intermittent / broken connection.

I believe the readio is good (Pioneer). Your hardware may be bad - but I doubt it. Odds are still on a power antenna(???) - then bad connection - then bad antenna/wire. If you really have a no antenna amp, you can just buy an antenna locally (for testing) and return it.

• 3 weeks later...

I connected the blue wire and it is NO better. I put my stock HU in and it work perfectly, so I guess this thing is a just a piece of junk. Pioneer says a min. of 3 weeks for repair. Back to my original question, if I send it in will it be any better? I have read several places that the FM tuner is not that good in this unit...

Thanks,

Brent

• 4 weeks later...