AVIC411.com

Z1 & connecting iPod - options?

I had the pioneer ipod adapter (cd-ib100ii) but have removed it since we didn't like the way it worked. I'm sure you already know the complaints so I wont get into that.

I bought a iPod audio/video cable and connected it to the Z1 using the RCA connector 1. When I have the Z1 in video mode I see video and hear audio.

But I do NOT hear audio just when playing music on the iPod.

When I switch to the AUX setting on the Z1 I also do not hear audio when playing music on the iPod. What do I need to be able to hear the music playing on the iPod? Where do I plug it in? What do I set the Z1 to?

THANKS!

I noticed on the ipod videos that if you plug in the head phones or remove them, the ipod pauses auto for you. you have to go and hit play yourself. But you should be able to plug the cable from head phone to z1 via the av rca's and get audio all the while then be able to go to the navi screen and such. But since you dont use your ipod adapter for the z1, it doesnt charge, you have to get some other charger. There is a tutorial on how to use the ipod adapter and cut the blue wire inside to get control back to the ipod unit itself, which would be ideal for you in this case I think

That sounds good, if I can use the Pioneer iPod adapter and be able to control the iPod itself instead of using the Z1 screen then I would be happy.

Do you know where the tutorial is?

What is displayed on the Z1 screen if the blue wire is cut?

I could still leave the iPod A/V cable installed if I want to watch a video stored on the iPod on the Z1 screen. Sounds like a perfect solution for me.

basically, if you are electrically inclined you just open the ipod adapter box, and disconnect the blue wire that you see that is on the other end of the ipod cable. so one end goes into the ipod, the other end inside of the box for the adapter, and you will see a blue thin wire, I actually wired up a switch cuz I like controlling it from the z1 for music but for movies you have to do it from the ipod itself.

When the blue wire is disconnected, the z1 doesnt allow you to control the ipod at all, If i remember right it doesnt display any ipod info. as for some more info on it, you can search the ipod section or http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1006 for a picture of the harness with the blue wire, it is rather simple to do.

That sounds easy enough. I'd like to see your switch set up if you have a picture.

I actually wired up a switch cuz I like controlling it from the z1 for music but for movies you have to do it from the ipod itself.

Using the CD-IB100II you can play movies on the iPod and see them on the Z1's screen?

Kind of yes, you need to purchase the a/v cable for the ipod, at someplace like best buy or radio shack. the cable is as cheap as $5 but best buy sells one for like 15$ i think. its very much like a audio cable that converts from headphone jack to rca, but instead of being 2 its 3, 2 for audio left and right, and one for video. So what your ending up with is a white, red, and yellow rca. You can then take these rca's and plug into the av connection on the z1.

All the while, you are going to use the ipod adapter for the ipod to charge the unit ONLY. By cutting the blue wire, and putting a switch on it, you can flip the switch one way which cuts the connection and gives control to the ipod for playing movies. flip the switch the other way and the control is back on the z1, for playing music and controlling it through the z1. You do it this way because the z1 does not see your video files when connected the standard way. You of course can play music the same way you would play videos but the reason I dont do it that way is because I like the control of the ipod on the z1 for as much of the time as possible.

I dont have any pictures of the switch, its a simple toggle switch though as in, letting the contact connect or disconnecting them.

exactly, but whenever the blue wire is cut you have NO control on the z1, and the system requires that you turn the z1 off for a few seconds and back on for it to "see" that the wire was cut or connected back. You can just disconnect it while its powered up and running, you would have to power down and power back up.