AVIC411.com

Newbie- need some X920BT info

Hi all,

I found this forum through another forum. I am looking for the X920BT model because its atleast cheaper than the Z120.

I don't know much about these units, I need to know how good is the Nav system (very important to me) how accurate is it, how fast does it recalculate, does it say street name, etc

Can i use my iphone and its ipod feature through this.

My local Car A/V store has quoted a very high price, but the $750 with coupon is a sweet deal. I also wanted to know if there are any major cons to this system.

What is the major difference or feature that some people went with the Z120 instead of X920bt.

Kindly suggest

I don't know much about these units, I need to know how good is the Nav system (very important to me) how accurate is it, how fast does it recalculate, does it say street name, etc

I think opinions of the NAV system are widely varied (good & bad) and in some cases demographically handicapped. (ie., Rural vs. City vs. Suburban areas of the U.S.) In my case, I have found that the NAV system, so far, has been quite accurate. Remember that not all companies get their mapping data from the same sources, so Garmin's may be more pinpoint accurate vs. Pioneers. Some addresses, POI's, and streets may be slightly off in terms of feet/yards due to the scaling of the mapping data provided to Pioneer. Also bear in mind that the system compensates for your car's characteristics via the VSS signal sent to the unit via a wire in the car. This helps compensate arrival times due to the rotation/speed of the tires on the car as well as associate SOME scaling on the map (Turning). In terms of the spoken directions, I have the Z120BT and it does not speak the street names..It merely says things like..."In one quarter of a mile, you will take exit 63A staying left, and then making a slight right turn.." or. "In one quarter of a mile, you will be making a right hand turn and arriving at your destination on the left.." The actual road/street names are displayed in text on the screen so this is no real challenge to me as I approach a destination or cross street/turn despite the voice not saying the actual street name. All in all, it has not steered me wrong and all my direction changes have been spot on and I get plenty of notification via the system voice prior to those changes. I find it funny that when I pull into my parking spot at home, graphically I am in the correct location on the street, but my home icon appears down the street about half a block..I know where I live, so I don't care what Pioneer's mapping data says..LOL!!

As far as recalculation, if I intentionally bypass the route chosen by the unit, it recalculates and picks up my new or corrected route very quickly. Keep in mind that you can customize your trip options as well on the NAV System. You can elect to avoid tolls, freeways, Ferry's etc...You can pick shortened, most direct routes, or take more scenic routes depending you what feel like at the time or depending on the trip your taking. You can also pick waypoints or "multiple location" routing if you want to hit a couple different locations on the way to your final destination..I think this Navigation system is quite nice in terms of your ability to customize..

Can i use my iphone and its ipod feature through this.

Yes...I think Pioneer has one of the fastest and most responsive iPod modules. It loads your library quickly, and with the new search features and touch/slide menus, it makes searching VERY nice. Toggling in between artists/albums/songs is very quick and responsive. Not only can you use the iPod feature, you can also use the 920BT "Pandora" interface. If you use Pandora on your iPhone, the 920BT has the ability to allow you to interract with it via the head unit..Very Nice!! MusicSphere is very nice also for helping to create Playlists for your iPod automatically.

What is the major difference or feature that some people went with the Z120 instead of X920bt.

The biggest difference is this....The 920BT and Z120BT run the same software. HOWEVER, if you get the 920BT you screensize is smaller (6.1") vs. the fullscreen on the Z120BT (7"). The 920BT screen is fixed, whereas the Z120BT is motorized and can be tilted. The 920BT has hardware buttons on the left side and the SD Card Slot and CD/DVD Drive is on the face of the unit, where the Z120BT has only the hardware function bar at the bottom of the screen and the SD Card and CD/DVD slots are hidden behind the screen..

Peace ~ HFoM

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was also wondering how the Pioneer compared to a similar Kenwood model.

Does anyone have any advantage over the other in terms of (price, features,) Which model do you guys recommend, if any other than 920bt, because I want to keep my cost down. I am looking for something in the $600 range if possible.