AVIC411.com

Connecting the CD-RB20 Auxiliary Audio Input to AVIC-Z120BT

Hi,

I don't think the external auxiliary audio input CD-RB20 is being detected by the AVIC. I hooked it up and it didn't seem to come up in the sources or the AV Source Settings menu. (The Sirius module did come up automatically in the sources.)

I ran out of time to start troubleshooting, so I will check it out carefully when I get home. Here is what I know:

1. Power and Ground are good. They are the same power and ground that the Satellite Module is using. If one had a bad connection then they both would. I am certain that power and ground are fine. I used the Battery+ line. I believe the Battery + Output line is meant to power another device such as a multi-cd changer. This "Battery + Output" line is not hooked up to anything.

2. The Satellite module is plugged into the headunit first. The CD-RB20 Aux Input is connected to the pass-through of the Satellite module. The Sirius Satellite works. I get station 184 just fine. The Satellite Source was auto detected and showed up automatically in my Sources list.

3. When I get home, I will try plugging the CD-RB20 Aux input directly into the head unit instead of the pass through. I also did not have anything plugged into the RCA jack. This time I will have my MP3 player hooked up playing music the whole time on a medium volume.

4. I believe my AV2 Input is assigned to "Ext", which I think is correct according to page 19 of the installation manual. I will double check this though to make sure this is how it is set.

5. AV1 Input is assigned to iPod.

Has anyone else hooked up the CD-RB20 input to this stereo before?

Edit: I see on page 146 of the Operation Manual that I should have either EXT1 or EXT2 showing up on sources.

I see on Page 168 and 169 where it talks about Ext1 and Ext2, but it is confusing. The CD-RB20 is connected via the IP-Bus. It says "EXT: Pioneer external unit connected with the RCA video cable". I don't have an RCA video cable with this input, just using it as an auxiliary audio source.

Shouldn't the CD-RB20 be automatically detected?

That seems like a facetious question, but I could be mistaken.

So, it is because I want to hook up another audio source: I have a portable Satellite Receiver that has replay, I have another MP3 player, I have a laptop, and I have a cell phone that all could be connected through that RCA.

Also, because I can...or should be able to. The Pioneer Page says that it is supposed to work.

Man thats a lot of devices. :shock:

You win the Master of the Obvious award. (Don't worry, I'm pulling it off of my shelf, as I won that award many many times over.)

So, you can see how it would be handy having an extra set of Audio Inputs? *grin*

I guess. I would keep it more simple. I do all of that from my iPod and iPhone.

To each their own. It is pretty simple and is a multitasker to have a spare 1/8" stereo connector that can be plugged into many different sources as needed. The auxiliary inputs in the back are all going to be tied up and integrated into the other equipment that I have. If worse comes to worse and it isn't compatible, then I can plug into the auxiliary input in the rear seat DVD Player as I will have that tied in to an input on the Head Unit, but not very convenient from the passenger seat.

The box that I bought was defective, unless Pioneers site lies about it being compatible at the bottom of the list under General Accessories:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... 20BT?tab=C

I have received the following reply from Pioneer Support:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:19:36 -0700, customer.support@pioneerservice.com

wrote:

> Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

>

> If you use the CD-RM10 you can use AV1 set to video. The CD-RB10/20 will

> not work with it.

>

>

> Thank You,

>

> Luana

> Customer Service Representative

So apparently their website is wrong and the CD-RB20 is NOT compatible.

Here is where it said that it was compatible (towards the bottom of the list under General Accessories):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... 20BT?tab=C