AVIC411.com

VW airbag malfunction light came on

I just installed the FC and everything works great. All except my airbag malfunction light that's in the instrument cluster is always on now. I have an 06 VW Jetta and am wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem with their VW. Any ideas as to how to reset the airbag light on the dash? Thanks...

i had the same thing happen on a 06 nissian forntier, what happend is when i was testing out the hack i drove around with (the light that shows if the air bag is on), not connected, haveing this wire or if u have a swich to turn on the air bag not connected it will tell the computer in your car that your air bag is messed up, you can go to your dealer ( cost about 50-100) and they can reset it but they will also want to check out the air bag system to make sure it works still because after the warnty on the air bags are up the light will go on by it self ( about 5-6 years) i would try making sure the conntions are good and if it sill stays on try leaving the battery conntion off for ten mins.

Did you disconnect an airbag connector, then turn on the ignition?

I did that in my Honda, and recieved an airbag light. Apparently if you turn on the ignition, the vehicle checks to make sure all airbags are functioning properly. If not, you'll get the light. A disconnected airbag connector triggered my fault. Unfortunately disconnecting the battery did not work to reset it, like a check engine light, but there might be other ways w/o taking it to the dealer. Post your question on a Jetta forum on how to reset the airbag light.

I was carefull not to disconnect the wire to the airbag light knowing that the light would malfunction. I might try the battery cable off first before the dealer. The VW forums says it's a common problem and the dealer needs to connect their VAG-Com software to reset the problem. Problem is with aftermarket radios installed it will fry a VAG-Com cable.

• 4 weeks later...

I took the VW jetta into the dealer after re-installing the factory radio (15 min) and had them reset the airbag malfunction light. I re-installed the Z1 without the flash ciruit as I'm not sure that's what caused the problem or not. I hate to keep going to the trouble of going to the dealer.

I had this same problem, but I have an 06 GTI.

There is a clip with a wire attached to it on the top part of the dash that has to come off when taking the car apart to install the stereo. If that clip is detached any time while the car battery is connected, it will flag the air bag system fault. This is because the air bag circuit has been tampered with.

Just make sure before you connect the battery to test the stereo out you have all the wires connected that you have disconnected so you don't run into another fault.

If you do have another fault, just take it to the dealer anyway and they will clear the fault. it should not come back again if you have everything installed correctly.

It is possible to clear the airbag codes in many cars without the factory diagnostic computer. In Hondas and Acuras, for example, there is a factory shorting connector that you hook up to the airbag controller diagnostic port and short the pins in a certain sequence while turning the ignition on and off. If you get it right, you can clear the codes yourself. All the connector does is short two pins, so you can do the same thing with a jumper lead.

It is possible to clear the airbag codes in many cars without the factory diagnostic computer. In Hondas and Acuras, for example, there is a factory shorting connector that you hook up to the airbag controller diagnostic port and short the pins in a certain sequence while turning the ignition on and off. If you get it right, you can clear the codes yourself. All the connector does is short two pins, so you can do the same thing with a jumper lead.

Since you're screwing around with the airbag circuits, I would be very hesitant to try anything like this unless you knew exactly what you were doing. Those parts can be very expensive to replace....and very dangerous if a bag goes off in your face.

The procedure is detailed in the service manual. There is no danger of setting the airbags off simply by clearing the codes through the diagnostic port. I know what I'm doing a lot more than the idiots in the dealers that mess with them all the time. LOL If you've ever had warranty service done at a dealer, you'll know exactly what I mean.