AVIC411.com

Pioneer and MSN Direct

I always thought Pioneer made a huge mistake leaving XM NavTraffic. If they wanted to jump in bed with Billy, that's fine...many have and have never regretted a second of it. But to just leave NavTraffic in the dust was foolish IMO. And now their chickens have come home to roost. Has anyone heard what Pioneer plans to do about a traffic service? I imagine they are left with NavTraffic, or trying to incorporate Google maps/traffic somehow. More importantly, for everyone who bought one of these units with MSN Direct who need traffic, does anyone know if there can be a firmware update that will allow XM NavTraffic?

There will be no NavTraffic with this unit and there likely will not be any other option at this point. By the time we hit 2012 there will be another hardware revision to this series and will likely include whatever Pioneer decides to go with at that point. If there is a solution for theses units at that time, it will come in the form of a new tuner to replace the MSN Direct tuner you have to use now.

I have my doubts about that vblue. It is just like Pioneer to leave their people who bought this technology hanging out there (not their fault this time), but it wouldn't surprise me to see them come up with a way to update these systems to NavTraffic. I'm trying to remember what my XM Navtraffic receiver includes...but I believe everything is on the BUS, so it's possible that all they need is the firmware to display it on the screen. To be honest, this is what's stopping me from buying a new Pioneer Nav right how. I use the traffic.

I'm trying to remember what my XM Navtraffic receiver includes...but I believe everything is on the BUS

Negative, There is a separate data connection for the traffic portion of the module. A connection of which is no on the back of the unit. Whatever it is if anything, it wont be NavTraffic. But we will see in less then two years

For what it's worth I miss the XM NavTraffic alot. In fact if my old D3 wasn't DVD based Nav I would of converted back to my D3. Strong statement I guess. But unfornately I have to agree with VBlue and Captain on this one that my beloved XM NavTraffic will never be part of this Z series if ever again. I'm going to cry now..... :cry:

There's a Z1 upgraded to a Z3 in the classifieds section, 600 with the BT adapter and XM/Navtraffic receiver. Maybe check that out, it looks like a great deal and you get a headunit that doesn't require maps on CD and you get your Navtraffic. :D

I realize it's a little bit of a downgrade but to be honest, I still have my Z3 in my 4Runner because I never saw the need to upgrade to the Z110.

Negative, There is a separate data connection for the traffic portion of the module. A connection of which is no on the back of the unit. Whatever it is if anything, it wont be NavTraffic. But we will see in less then two years

You are right about that. I forgot about the extra data connection needed.

Pioneer is about to piss me off enough to go to a Kenwood DNX9960. If it weren't for the fact I have all the extras like XM, HD Radio, etc already installed for the Pioneer products, I would do it in a heartbeat. Being able to add POI's like red light cameras, etc is also very nice. I know the Kenwood is a bit more 'clunky' than the Pioneer, but at least they offer what we want. I just don't want to have to buy all new peripherals to match it.

Damn Aviator, I'm beginning to believe we are long lost siblings!!!! I once again feel the same way. I have basically two of everything since my wife's truck is outfitted the same way as mine. So having to buy two of all the extras only makes me locked in to Pioneer even further. I still basically love Pioneer's head units regardless of their few problems. After all when describing the Kenwood, "clunky" was an adjective used. All in all we all know that every company has there problems and Pioneers problems are the ones I'm dealing with. I will be on here in 2011 or 2012 when the new Z is released talking about something else.