AVIC411.com

Map accuracy - lagging behind

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off about 1/2 block, sometimes it's blocks off. The vss is connected. The gps antenna is on the roof of the vehicle and reads exceptional reception. I can post pics of this stuff when I get home.

geez - blocks off? What have I got myself into LOL - hopefully they fixed whatever's wrong in yours, but it sounds like its an inferior product and Pioneer doesn't want to admit it. I figure the blowout price I just got at Amazon (sub $400) has something to do with that

To get the street names to show up I use the 2D mode and then change the view from the default 0.1 mi. to 0.25 and now it shows a lot more street names. To adjust your location go to Home, then Settings, then Navi Setting, then Modify Current Location, then use your finger to move the map to where you want the arrow to be and hit OK.

Thanks for this information. I've done this atleast a dozen times. I do get a little more street names but when I change locations it never stays.

To get the street names to show up I use the 2D mode and then change the view from the default 0.1 mi. to 0.25 and now it shows a lot more street names. To adjust your location go to Home, then Settings, then Navi Setting, then Modify Current Location, then use your finger to move the map to where you want the arrow to be and hit OK.

You should be fine! My problem seems to be a one off. I haven't ran across anyone one else with this problem. If I could find this unit for less than $400, I would by it again!

Good luck with yours.

Tony

Off about 1/2 block, sometimes it's blocks off. The vss is connected. The gps antenna is on the roof of the vehicle and reads exceptional reception. I can post pics of this stuff when I get home.

geez - blocks off? What have I got myself into LOL - hopefully they fixed whatever's wrong in yours, but it sounds like its an inferior product and Pioneer doesn't want to admit it. I figure the blowout price I just got at Amazon (sub $400) has something to do with that

You should be fine! My problem seems to be a one off. I haven't ran across anyone one else with this problem. If I could find this unit for less than $400, I would by it again!

Good luck with yours.

Tony

hehe - I'm sure we'll be discussing more in the weeks to come :)

Here are a few images from today. Is this what you guys see too? Is this normal?

My vehicle physically at an intersection

d4854f6d.jpg

Here is the display of me at the intersection (See how far back it is)

789e2352.jpg

Here is my displayed location after turning and traveling down this road (It doesnt even show me on the road. I traveled down this whole road to the location you see here. I made a right turn onto the orange road. I was surprised to see the apex of the triangle at the intersection as it should be)

d9745201.jpg

Here is the calibration status screen (notice that the distance and 3D meters are not as far along as the turn meters. I havent seen neither of these past 7 or 8 lines. I have reset this a dozen times or more)

d18b5b11.jpg

Wait a second - your screen says XM - so I take it your X920 is receiving signals from two sets of satellites for both GPS and XM. It would be interesting to disconnect the XM and see if the problem remained. Maybe there's a software glitch there - anyone else with XM? What happens when the antenna is inside the car?

But still, the Pioneer guy may be on to something - aka there's something amiss with the VSS hookup; a short, a loose wire, the wrong signal (how are you getting the VSS feed - is it digital or analog?)

I have the vss wire hooked up. It's using the units sensors and the vehicle speed sensor to determine location. When I unhook the vss, it goes to simple.

At the calibration screen on mine the learning status is set on Simple Hybrid instead of 3D Hybrid. I'm not sure what the difference is.

The xm just means that is the audio source I was listening to. It changes with what ever source. I'm actually using the factory xm radio antenna, so disconnecting it does nothing.

The problem is the same with the vss bicker up or not.

My suspicion is the sensor in the unit is bad. I may just yank it out on Monday and send it back to Pioneer.

Wait a second - your screen says XM - so I take it your X920 is receiving signals from two sets of satellites for both GPS and XM. It would be interesting to disconnect the XM and see if the problem remained. Maybe there's a software glitch there - anyone else with XM? What happens when the antenna is inside the car?

But still, the Pioneer guy may be on to something - aka there's something amiss with the VSS hookup; a short, a loose wire, the wrong signal (how are you getting the VSS feed - is it digital or analog?)

you know, these nav units, across the board are a crapshoot at best. We just drove up to central California, in a brand new Jetta with OEM nav, and roads that have been there for 60 years, and lakes that have been there since the ice age were not present on the map system used by VW. As far as the nav was concerned, we were driving through the forest.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps some of the map files have slightly incorrect lat/long information. That would explain why the nav software doesn't think you've reached the intersection and could also explain why the issue seems to be sporadic among members.

Of course, you'll never know unless you can find another x920 owner to drive that route...

that sounds logical. In the 20 minutes I had with my x920BT the other day before it died, I hooked up VSS - got good data and satellite links. The streets were all where they should have been, the turns in the right place (ok, I found there was about a 35 foot lag - big woop), and the nav woman announced the street names properly.

However . . . when I asked her to program a route back to my house (programmed as home), she went about one-half mile out of her way for the route. Made it more complicated and longer. But, she was moving "forward". I'm wondering if Pioneer's nav people didn't understand the concept of "turn around, go back".

If the nav woman had known that, she would have saved me 1/2 mile.

Also, I drove past my street on purpose to see what she would do with re-routing.

As I passed my street, and was about 400 yards from my house, she declared victory and said "you have arrived at your destination".

Not quite.

How many of you have that problem?

Even as I kept driving, the nav lady packed it in, assuming I had believed her incorrect proximity.

That's a little worrysome