AVIC411.com

Headlights locking up 120

I installed my 120 yesterday and have been having a weird problem. I have a 2007 tahoe and when the automatic headlights turn on the unit pretty much becomes useless. Audio hardly plays from any source, meaning the volume could be set to 30 and there is just a slight wisper audible. When I turn the volume up, the volume doesnt change, however a minute to two minutes later it will respond and turn the volume up super loud. It also seems to disconnect from the sub as there is absolutely NO bass at all when this is all going on. To fix it I have to shut the truck off and turn it back on, in which case it all works again without problems. I cant figure out what the deal is....might disconnecting the illumination/dimmer/whatever it's called wire solve this, so the unit just doesnt know when the lights are on or off?

Thank you again for the help!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove the relay and connect the H.I.D.s directly to the car's headlight harnesses. This will eliminate your problem and this has been the solution for many people sense I started suggesting this when I had a similar problem a year ago.

Remove the relay and connect the H.I.D.s directly to the car's headlight harnesses. This will eliminate your problem and this has been the solution for many people sense I started suggesting this when I had a similar problem a year ago.

Vblue, you might have already answered this question but I dunno... I tried searching but couldn't find it... ok so

My question is how did you know EXACTLY what his problem was?!!11

are%20you%20a%20wizard-525x700.jpg

Thanks for the help. The front passenger side HID is plugged into that side's harness. It then goes through a relay and goes to the other ballast/light, bypassing the driver's side headlight harness. I'm not sure there is any other way to set the HIDs up? Is there anything with wiring in the dash behind the unit I can do to fix this? i.e. cut the dimmer/illumination wire?

Is there anything with wiring in the dash behind the unit I can do to fix this? i.e. cut the dimmer/illumination wire?

Well there might be but as far as I know with every post similar to this one, the only suggest that has fixed everyones problem is to eliminate the relayed harness. Most H.I.D. systems come with both types of harnesses. If yours did not, I would suggest doing a Google search for an H.I.D. harness for your type of vehicle or contact the manufacture of the system you have.

Vblue, you might have already answered this question but I dunno... I tried searching but couldn't find it... ok so

Yea I covered this back a year ago when I had the problem but I probably couldn't find that thread if I tried. The way I discovered this issue was interesting. I had my H.I.D.s wired without relayed harnesses for over a year and with the Z installed without issue. I then had projector retrofits made for my car and decided to incorporate the relayed harnesses when I installed the new headlights and immediately started getting this problem. Sense I new the last thing I changed was the relayed harnesses I had a good idea what was causing the problem so I went back and eliminated them and the problem went away for good. Literally less then 24 hours later two post showed up on this forum describing the same issue. I inquired as to their H.I.D setup and all had relayed harnesses. I suggested eliminating the relays and their problems went away as well. Over the last year or so this has come up about once every couple of months and it is always the same issue and solution. This has become so common now that I can pretty much at this point not even ask people if they have relayed H.I.D.s and know that is the problem. I would like to know what is actually causing the problem though to see if there is another solution that good be worked out.

Is there anything with wiring in the dash behind the unit I can do to fix this? i.e. cut the dimmer/illumination wire?

Well there might be but as far as I know with every post similar to this one, the only suggest that has fixed everyones problem is to eliminate the relayed harness. Most H.I.D. systems come with both types of harnesses. If yours did not, I would suggest doing a Google search for an H.I.D. harness for your type of vehicle or contact the manufacture of the system you have.

Mine only came with the one harness. I'm not entirely sure what the new/different harness should be/look like as I have never dealt with this before. Here is a link(http://www.philipsxenon.com/philips-bulbs-ballasts-wiring-upgrades-c-380_383 to the two harnesses available from Philips for my lighting system. Would you be able to tell me which of those I need? Thank you so much.

Edit: I should also mention I had the same lights/setup with my z3 and never had the problem.

Yea I covered this back a year ago when I had the problem but I probably couldn't find that thread if I tried. The way I discovered this issue was interesting. I had my H.I.D.s wired without relayed harnesses for over a year and with the Z installed without issue. I then had projector retrofits made for my car and decided to incorporate the relayed harnesses when I installed the new headlights and immediately started getting this problem. Sense I new the last thing I changed was the relayed harnesses I had a good idea what was causing the problem so I went back and eliminated them and the problem went away for good. Literally less then 24 hours later two post showed up on this forum describing the same issue. I inquired as to their H.I.D setup and all had relayed harnesses. I suggested eliminating the relays and their problems went away as well. Over the last year or so this has come up about once every couple of months and it is always the same issue and solution. This has become so common now that I can pretty much at this point not even ask people if they have relayed H.I.D.s and know that is the problem. I would like to know what is actually causing the problem though to see if there is another solution that good be worked out.

Was a rhetorical question that was meant to be satirical :P

Mine only came with the one harness. I'm not entirely sure what the new/different harness should be/look like as I have never dealt with this before. Here is a link(http://www.philipsxenon.com/philips-bul ... -c-380_383 to the two harnesses available from Philips for my lighting system. Would you be able to tell me which of those I need? Thank you so much.

You can try the following forum here:

http://www.tahoeforum.com

Other then that maybe try a google search for an HID harness for your vehicle.