AVIC411.com

The On-Off button, or lack thereof

So if VBLUE42 is correct, there is no way to turn the X920-BT (or Z120?) units off, aka reset it while in motion if it freezes up.

Would it be possible to install a toggle-reset switch between the unit and the cars power? Also, I have a stock Bose system that includes a sub, which gets an on-off command from the stock radio.

Would this complicate things.

Seems silly the only way to turn off the unit is to power down the engine.

What's the workaround (there's always a workaround, isn't there?) :)

yes it true there is no true power off just a stand by.

yes you could wire a switch in if you want, you will need to put it on the red ACC wire.

for any Bose system integration, you just need to buy the right harness (be for warned, it may be expensive)

the reason they didn't put a full power off button is because how long these units take to power up, that way if you want to turn it off for a minute you can and then you can turn it right back on with out waiting a minute or so for it to power back up.

on some models there is a reset button right of the front that will reset (in the case that your unit freezes as mentioned above)

BTW the work around is putting a switch on the acc wire

yes it true there is no true power off just a stand by.

yes you could wire a switch in if you want, you will need to put it on the red ACC wire.

for any Bose system integration, you just need to buy the right harness (be for warned, it may be expensive)

the reason they didn't put a full power off button is because how long these units take to power up, that way if you want to turn it off for a minute you can and then you can turn it right back on with out waiting a minute or so for it to power back up.

on some models there is a reset button right of the front that will reset (in the case that your unit freezes as mentioned above)

I take it then you own one of these units? That being the case, have you ever needed the ability to shut the unit off, completely, while the car was running?

BTW the work around is putting a switch on the acc wire

make sure when quoting some body that you start typing after the

or it will insert the text in to the quote bubble and people might not see the question

yes i have a F900bt and in the two years that i have had it i really have only needed to reset it maybe two or three times because the bluetooth has frozen up and the audio doesn't come back on, so once i just put the car in to neutral and shut it off and turned it back on real quick and the other times i just hit the reset button.

The 920 are supposed to be a lot more stable, i know that the 920 doesn't have a reset button (i dont know if there is a combo of buttons that can be used to reset it) but i have no idea about the z120

make sure when quoting some body that you start typing after the
or it will insert the text in to the quote bubble and people might not see the question

yes i have a F900bt and in the two years that i have had it i really have only needed to reset it maybe two or three times because the bluetooth has frozen up and the audio doesn't come back on, so once i just put the car in to neutral and shut it off and turned it back on real quick and the other times i just hit the reset button.

The 920 are supposed to be a lot more stable, i know that the 920 doesn't have a reset button (i dont know if there is a combo of buttons that can be used to reset it) but i have no idea about the z120

hehe - like this?

thanks

• 1 month later...

In my car, if my 910 ever freezes up I can just turn the key forward momentarily like I'm going to start the engine (but not quite far enough to actually turn the starter) and all the electrical systems power cycle. It's really handy for restarting it while I'm on the highway, not that it needs it very often.

I can't believe the geniuses decided not to have a power off button or reset function. So far I've had to turn off my engine six times (just to restart the system) in the three months I had the unit. Before any questions me, I am using their latest stable release 2.003. Randomly, the unit behaves erratically like not understanding voice commands. Many times it needs to update the voice dictionary with my iPhone. Don't know why it gets corrupted and when it does takes hours to finish. Oh, and it would be nice if the "OFF" button actually switches the source to none, turns off the LCD display (at night the black screen glows) and goes into standby mode.

Pioneer should have a real reset or power off function.