AVIC411.com

My CD/DVD quit working as well.

I realized my 2 year old Z2 no longer plays cd's and dvd's yesterday evening. I have probably used the player around a dozen times. I use my iPod and Sirius radio 99% of the time. I discovered this last night when my daughter wanted me to play some cd for her.

First thing I did when I got home was ran the cd/dvd cleaner. No luck what so ever. It just attempts to read the disc for about 1-3 minutes and then gives me the "unreadable disc" error. I tried dvd's and cd's, burned and store bought.

So this morning I figured I would uninstall it and see what I could figure out. 50% of my driving in the past was gravel roads so I figured it was probably just full of dust. So I got it out and removed the top. I was actually really clean inside, I guess having the screen closed keeps the dust out. Anyway, I wiped the laser off with isopropal alcohol on a q-tip and blew some air spray. Hooked it back up and gave it another try with the lid off. The disc spins up and down just fine, you can see the disc changing speeds as the player tries to determine if it's a cd or dvd, then it gives up and gives me the error.

I really don't need the cd/dvd player, however it bothers me that it's not functional. Anyone have any suggestions?