AVIC411.com

z120BT strange sound/volume issue

I recently installed a z120bt in my 2008 Silverado. This is actually the second install, the first one I did was with the PAC OS-3BOSE adapter, then realized how much cleaner and easier it was to use the OS-4 I tore it all out and redid it. The issue I am having was the previous install as well as with the one I just finished with.

I will be listening to music, either XM, FM, iPhone, it doesn't seem to matter, and the sound will just drop. The last time it did this I was just going into settings when it happened. Strangely enough, if I put it on XM and wait a bit the volume will slowly creep back up, on XM. It still has no output on the iPhone or FM/AM. Also, when it does this on the XM channel, if I turn the volume up on the stereo it has no affect, then eventually slowly starts to go up after a long delay, and the same when I turn it back down. This happens with or without my iPhone plugged into the unit.

The only way I have been able to get it to return to normal is shut my truck off completely causing the unit to reboot. After that everything is normal again until it happens again. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when or why, it seems random, but frequent. I have the pioneer XM tuner, pioneer backup camera (which isn't plugged in yet, but is wired), overhead drop down video monitor, iPhone 4, PAC OS-4 and PAC SWI-PS adapters. I have the bypass mod done.

Could this have something to do with my bluetooth connection to my phone? Any insight would be great. I searched a bunch and even went through many pages of posts individually looking for something similar but never found anything.

Thanks.

That is your problem and it almost exclusively deals with the type of harness that powers the lights. You need to see about removing the relayed power harnesses that are connected straight to your battery. Replace them with harnesses that plug straight into the stock vehicle wiring. Unfortunately there seems to be less and less HID systems that provide vehicle specific harnesses anymore. Good luck to you.

So as long as my HID's are on its going to cause this problem unless I can figure out a way to get a different harness?

Yes.

I don't understand how that affects the volume, that is just strange.

Yeah I don't know exactly what causes the problem either but this has been reported many times on this forum and this is the only solution I know of that has solved the problem. Someone on here has also reported that Pioneer is also aware of the issue as well.

I may have just been lucky so far but I went out earlier and did the 2.003 software update and it hasn't done it since. Granted I haven't driven very far but enough where before it would of happened 3 or 4 times. Turning lights on and off, brights on and off.

May have just gotten lucky so far but it hasn't happened since the software update....

just use the factory headlight harness to trigger the relay that is getting power directly from the battery. very simple and safer for factory harness.when wired correctly i have never had hids hinder avic operation. hids require less voltage to run, but have a higher startup requirement than reg bulbs jim

That wont work with the systems I have seen. One of the factory harnesses is used as the trigger to start the ballast but doesn't actually provide power. The relay connected to the battery is what powers the system so I don't see how you could do both in the way you are describing.

very simple you must cut the main power and ground off the crap pre made harness. groung the black wire coming from the ballast[fat] take the fat red[12 v] hook it to 30 on relay hook 87 to the battery thru fuse and ground 86. 85 goes to the factory headlight wire to trigger relay. you must do both sides like this both ballast powers together thru relay. only one relay used. and only one factory headlight wire is used to trigger the relay for both.use the same side hl as the relay to keep it simple. i have done several of these setups never a problem. i have also re-done about 10 cars for people who dont know what is going on and only plug it in. the way the directions say. there is not enough juice to do it right that way. very simple. ive only been in the 12 v industry for over 27 years. any more questions?? lets do it right everybody. jim