AVIC411.com

So, the long-awaited install of my x920BT.

Everything went smoothly - bypass working on all counts

VSS connection active and taking speed data.

iPod, FM, AM and Metra Axxess steering wheel control also working just fab.

Light dimmer seems to be doing its thing - when lights come on, screen dims.

Only two glitches - no sound from my rear speakers or subwoofer, and an audible "pop", although not very loud, when turning headlights on and off.

So, I turned everything off - swapped the front audio cables into the back to see if it was the cables.

It wasn't, as the "good" front cables didn't produce sound in the rear.

Turned off again - disconnected the blue/white connection, thinking maybe the subwoofer got fooled into turning off.

And then - on power up - BRICK. When I say BRICK, I mean no screen action - nada.

Fuse seems good, as I ran it across a volt meter.

Is there something I might be missing? I suspect it's the blue/white wires from the Metra/Mazda/Pioneer, as there seems to be some confusion as to whether they are for turning on a power amp, or not. I would have thought the Pioneer's fuse would have blown before turning into a one-hour old dead unit.

Well, after a night of reading yet more posts here - it's likely this had something to do with Pico Fuses, if they are in this unit.

I believe the rears blew when the system went hot (that would explain the "pop"), and, being a Mazda, is likely acting like a Ford, their former cousin.

Then, while changing the RCA jacks from front to back to trace whether it was a wire problem, it's likely the front one blew, and then shut down the unit.

Seriously, what a piece of junk.

Grounding is soooo yesterday, and any company has to know that there's always going to be a certain amount of mucking about in behind the unit during installation. Things touch each other. What's stupid is that all the grounds were hooked up before the system went hot.

Epic fail, Pioneer. Epic.

It's too bad, because I quite liked all the features, and for one hour, they seemed to be working just fine..

Why not just put in a decent fuse that the installer can easily change?

miffed