AVIC411.com

OBD II interface possible?

I read from another forum that Garmin has a new product called "Garmin EcoRoute HD" that allows it's GPS units to be connected to the ODB II port to display all kinds of cool info such as fuel consumption, carbon footprint, engine performance etc.

I know that the current Pioneer does not have a ODB II port, but is there a possible hack to display the ODB II data using one of the many ODB II devices via the external sources of the Pioneer?

One option I can think of is to use a jailbroken iPhone/iPod to run some of the OBD II apps ( http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html ), and output the screen data to the Pioneer screen.

But ultimately the easiest solution I think is for Pioneer to develop an interface or just a simple cable just like Garmin did, to show the Eco info based on real-engine readouts, especially since car audio manufacturers seem to have started incorporating the "Eco" feature into their systems. I wonder if we'll see this actually implemented in 130BT or the 2011 refresh?

More importantly, I wonder if this is something that can be easily upgraded for current users of 120BT (affects my decision to purchase 120BT now or wait). I hope Pioneer will do this because this is exactly what Garmin did. They came out with their GPS units first, released the EcoRoute cable, and then updated firmwares to make them work with the cable.

Another wild guess, since this is Garmin technology, maybe we'll see this upgrade in the Kenwood system at CES2011?