AVIC411.com

Screen locks up - time for repair?

So three times this week, early in to my commute, the unit's screen has frozen. First time I could hold down the one button and get the screen color settings, and see the volume control appear on the screen, but the screen was showing FM, but I was on iPod. Second, third, times when the screen locked up, all the steering wheel function buttons like skip, volume and source work, but the screen remained unresponsive, the iPod stopped working and the XM station tuning was lagging. Press the button, 3-4 seconds later, the station changed.

This sounds to me like software, not hardware.

Stereo shop that installed it is 70 miles away, my office is 5 miles from Pioneer, my home is 30 miles from Pioneer yet 10 miles to the nearest chain store stereo shop.

The unit has been in the car since December of last year. It is a BMW 7-series, yes there where mounting depth issues but the unit has been run continuously for close to 20 hours a few timesback to back on a cross country trip.

The first time it happened this week I was 20 minutes in to my commute, the second almost half an hour, third time about 5 minutes on a lunch run. Everytime it was in the morning.