AVIC411.com

Xtrememac Roadshow Cable for iPod

I have the Roadshow Cable from Xtrememac.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/cables/roadshow.php

It's currently cabled to the A/V inputs of my AVIC-D2 and powered by the car's cigarette lighter.

I would like to hardwire the cable into the car, rather than use the cigarette lighter for power. What would be the best way to do this?

I suppose the cigratette lighter plug "steps down" the voltage for the iPod, no? 12v direct to the iPod's dock connector would surely fry the thing.

So, not as simple as snipping the cigarette lighter plug off the end of the cable and attaching the wires to 12v power and ground, right?

well, you could test it and see, usually you can unscrew the lighter adapter part and get at where the fuse is, and even the "out" side of the adapter and meter it to see what it puts out. BUT a simple probably better way would be to just buy a female lighter adapter and stuff it behind the dash, this way you dont loose your current lighter for power.

Ah... good idea with the female cigarette lighter adapter.

I'm rather new to mobile electronics and I didn't even know such a thing existed. I think I'll go down that route as it will save me from modifying the cable itself.

Many thanks!

EDIT: I guess the next logical question would be... where do I obtain such a 12v female cigarette lighter socket?