AVIC411.com

Goodbye GOOG-411

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/09 ... r_one_one/

GOOG-411 was a great alternative to the avic's POI search. It saved my ass more than a dozen times when I needed to look up a restaurant or business that is not in the avic's database. I would have GOOG-411 send me the information via text message and I would then enter the address into my Z120bt.

I guess this is the world of technology. I can't wait to see what Pioneer will implement in their software next year. Definitely need to replace GOOGL-411 and eventually the MSN direct.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, there is a 1-800-BING-411. No idea if there is a method to update the shortcut to dial this instead.

Probably the same thing Google did, they are using it for voice recognition engine. I hope not, but I would assume that is the case, at least it will buy us some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Pioneer's past behavior should lead you to expect that they will NOT replace the GOOG411 or MSN Direct, but rather will expect you to buy an entirely new unit on the first of Feb 2011.

The honorable thing to do would be for them to offer a new accessory to legions of F- and X-Series users who need those services for live traffic, etc. For example, why not an FM-TDS traffic accessory? Or a software update that reads the XM NavTraffic from the older Pioneer XM tuner when used with F- or X-series units (right now, the XM NavTraffic data from the older tuner is ignored by the newer units).

So...will Pioneer do the honorable thing? LOL

The NavTraffic tuners require a separate data port for that service that does not exist on those units so an update wont do anything for those units. Forget about a solution for any of the F and previous X series units but we may see a new tuner device to replace the separate MSN tuner for the Z110/120/X920 units. But remember, we're talking about Pioneer here, if you hold your breath you may die.

The NavTraffic tuners require a separate data port for that service that does not exist on those units so an update wont do anything for those units. Forget about a solution for any of the F and previous X series units but we may see a new tuner device to replace the separate MSN tuner for the Z110/120/X920 units. But remember, we're talking about Pioneer here, if you hold your breath you may die.

I was thinking they could make an adapter that connects the regular XM radio port and the dedicated physical port for NavTraffic data from the older tuner and combine the data on the same line somehow.

The newer units definitely have the processing power to "decomm" the data (as we say in the engineering biz...). The problems (obviously) would be re-programming the AVIC. Assuming BOTH types of data come in to the unit as digital, however, that should be possible.

The problem gets tougher if the XM radio comes in from the tuner as ANALOG, but even then I can think of some ways to do this off-board (i.e., pre-AVIC head unit). Depends how much time Pioneer wants to spend.

A new traffic tuner of some kind would be easier for them...and I wish they'd do it for the sake of all the AVIC users out there who rely on the MSN functionality presently.