AVIC411.com

Boyo Camera Display Issues

So I've just installed a VTL300c Boyo cam to my z120 and now when the engine is running the display has horizontal lines running up and down the display. When the engine is off the display is clear / when the engine is running the lines start and seem to get faster when the RPMs go up.... like it's in sync with the tachometer. I did a search and came up with a possibility of the rear cam RCA plug may be too close to a 12v power wire and another that talks about grounding the RCA ground shield: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10847&p=72060&hilit=camera+static#p72060

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm a little shy of trying the grounding the RCA option. Maybe the cam is just crap. I've read of other people having trouble with interference with HID lights..... hmmmmm I just don't know.

Thanks in advance

Well I just tried grounding the RCA(rear camera) outer sleeve and there was only a very minor difference. I keep reading about interference issues with the CMOS type cameras especially the BOYO's so I've ordered the Boyo VTL300 which looks identical but uses a CCD type camera at twice the cost. Here's hoping that the new cam will work. I also emailed tech support at Boyo and I'll post the reply as soon as I get it.

The wire that the VTL300c comes with is meant to be ground near the HU. It's one cord that plugs into the camera and on the other end is the RCA, power and ground. I'd like to still be able to return this camera so I don't want to cut into the housing. I'm pretty sure that the cam is a POS... at least that's what I'm betting on :?

So this is what the Boyo tech help said:

Dear Customer,

It seems like you may have Engine noise,

1. Filter at power wire(Red) on camera, see it that helps.

2. Check the cable from camera to the in-dash, It may pinched somewhere,

3, CCD do gives you better picture,

Hope this helps.

Any other question let us know.

thank you.

I'm 100% positive that the wire isn't pinched and I've been reading that others still have engine noise after the filter install..... I think I'll just go the ccd route and see what happens.

BTW if it matters at all (or if someone has the same car) I'm installing it on a 2011 Subaru STi wagon.... Is there a chance that someone out the has experienced the same problems with these HU's, backup cams and 08-11 STi's??

I'll be sure to post a solution as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a boyo vtl422c installed in a 08 nissan frontier with a x710bt and the camera image is very good even at night. The problem I have is how it operates. It is wired to the back up light and grounded at the tail light. Camera harness has the video cable and a red and black wire. In the install manual for the hu it says to run a wire from tne hu to the backup light wire. Problem is the violet wire it indicates is not on the power harness as the instructions suggest.

When I start the truck and put it into reverse after about 30 secs the camera comes on and then when I shift into drive it goes off leaving a black screen with the warnig about reversed images. If the hu was in the map mode when the truck was turned off it will after about 1 min return to that screen. If it was in any other mode, ie ipod or radio it will not return and I have to hit the map button then the audio selection button then everything works okay.

This does not seem to be a camera problem,but more of a software problem.

If anyone could help with this and maybe a picture a hu power harness with the viiolet and white wire that my unit does not have i would be grateful and interested in any comments about the need for the wire from hu to backup light.

Thanks

Why do you need a picture of the wire? Clearly your unit is missing that wire so you need to see about getting a new harness that is complete.

so your suggesting that pioneer shipped a harness with a missing wire, or is it possible that the x710 does not have the violet wire.

the manual covers both the x710 and the x910. the harness doesn't have the pink wire either. the request for a picture was simply a attempt to clarify.

I would be grateful for any one who has a boyo camera attached to x710bt to respond with thier experience and how they wired it and if it works smoothly,i.e. comes on in reverse, goes off when shifted into drive or park and the unit goes to the next function such as ipod, radio or nav without a long delay or getting hung up on a black screen

so your suggesting that pioneer shipped a harness with a missing wire, or is it possible that the x710 does not have the violet wire.

the manual covers both the x710 and the x910. the harness doesn't have the pink wire either. the request for a picture was simply a attempt to clarify.

I would be grateful for any one who has a boyo camera attached to x710bt to respond with thier experience and how they wired it and if it works smoothly,i.e. comes on in reverse, goes off when shifted into drive or park and the unit goes to the next function such as ipod, radio or nav without a long delay or getting hung up on a black screen

You might have better luck in the X Series forum. But here is the X710 installation manual. See for yourself.X710 Installation

A quick look says that the harness should have the Violet/White reverse wire. It does not use the pink VS wire, so it might not be present in the harness.