AVIC411.com

Replacing F90 with X910 or X920?

Slammed, the preamp harness (one with RCA's and mute wire) is different. I believe the Black power harness (w/ speaker wires, battery, ground, etc) is the same. The GPS antenna has a different plug than the F90 as well, but the microphone and steering wheel control plugs will be the same.

As a result, you're going to need to do some rewiring. I'd recommend swapping everything out and doing a fresh install. You're going to be doing over half of it anyways.

Tru

• 2 weeks later...

The wiring harness is different between the two unit. Now you can leave the GPS antenna in place because it's the same for both units. I did this when I bought my X920 and replaced my F90. The only thing that I changed was the main wiring harness and that was it. The microphone has the same adapter also.

Thank you, so is the X920 worth the extra cash over the 910? If the GPS and Mic are the same I will prob just go the 920 route! Gotta ditch the F90 and upgradeeee!

In my honest opinion I think so. I like the layout of the map is better and the boot time is 100 times faster. The only thing that I wish it had that the F90 has is the 4V preouts. Other than that I love this unit.

so is the X920 worth the extra cash over the 910?

no question about it, the x910 is really a down grade from the F90 since they share the same hardware, especially since you can load the X-series software on to any F-series with the 3.0 update/maps. you lose half your pre output voltage going from the Premier to the regular pioneer model, at least with the 920 they updated the hardware little and made the bigger software changes, actually giving you something for the money that you are spending for the upgrade.

boot time is 100 times faster.

does anybody need a better reason than that

hey Tru, have you had a chance to get used to the to the new system yet? found any big glitches while using it?

Well if you are considering an X910 as an upgrade to the F90 why not just get the 3.0 software for the F90? Once you do so you will have an X910. The X920 is a completely different animal and shares no similarities to the previous X series. In fact, the 920 is a smaller screen version of the Z120BT and they run the same software.

there you go, upgrading from F90 to a X910 = waste of money

upgrading from a F90 to a X920 = actually gives you something for your money spent.

upgrading the software from the F series to the X series is much cheaper than buying a new 910 and you dont lose pre output voltage. where i come from that is what we call a win win situation

no question about it, the x910 is really a down grade from the F90 since they share the same hardware, especially since you can load the X-series software on to any F-series with the 3.0 update/maps. you lose half your pre output voltage going from the Premier to the regular pioneer model, at least with the 920 they updated the hardware little and made the bigger software changes, actually giving you something for the money that you are spending for the upgrade.

does anybody need a better reason than that

hey Tru, have you had a chance to get used to the to the new system yet? found any big glitches while using it?

The biggest thing for me to get used to is making sure to leave the mode in Navigation right before I shut the car off - due to the change Pioneer made in requiring you to hit the OK button in Navigation mode before VR will work. The 2.03 firmware update fixes the timing issue where you have to do that before any BT hand-shaking takes place. I've read in other posts that Pioneer indicates that this is a "feature," but I would preferred that they would have left that functionality alone like it was in the F90.

Another thing I've found is if you disconnect your iPod AND you've disabled the VR Cataloging, then the X920 loses the catalog and it has to be rebuilt. The good news is that VR cataloging is VERY fast on the X920 (it was a dog on the F series), so I pretty much leave it on all the time now. I don't even notice it, and it hasn't affected anything I do with VR or BT functions.

Pandora through my Blackberry is a little flaky - even after the 2.03 firmware update. Sometimes it will play through the Avic, and other times it won't. I think the BT pairing for the audio functions is hit or miss, and don't know if it's the Avic or my Blackberry - or both that is causing the issue. I haven't pursued that one any further, yet.

Having owned both the F90BT and now the X920, I was concerned about losing half of the pre-out voltage but can safely say that I've not had any white noise whatsoever with the 920's 2.2v preouts. The sound quality is just as good as the F90, and I believe the equalization capabilities are the same between the two units.

Navigation is always a hot debate with the X920, but I think there's probably more people on the "I hate it" side. I haven't used it much yet, but did notice what others had posted in not seeing names of roads appear on the map, however they WOULD appear in the identification bar at the bottom that tells you what street you're currently on. I used it to go from Lambertville to Southfield a week ago, and it was pretty accurate AFTER I chose one of the alternate routes to go up US-23 instead of I-75. I had mapquested the route separately to compare, and they were exact up to the few final turns. Overall, I like the new interface but feel that the F90 was more accurate (although I didn't use it much). If you could combine the new interface of the X920 with the accuracy of an F90, or better yet, a Kenwood Excelon, I think you'd have a winner.

Haven't played with Avic Feeds or Musicsphere yet, and not sure that I really have any use for either of them beyond just seeing what they do. I'm still undecided on the drag interface compared to what the F90 had. Graphically it looks better, but I think I was faster getting to something on the F90 if I had to use the touch interface.

Biggest benefits to how I use the 920 are the boot-up time and VR cataloging update times.

Sorry for the book. Sometimes fingers have a mind of their own.

TRU

due to the change Pioneer made in requiring you to hit the OK button in Navigation mode before VR will work.

Gay

then the X920 loses the catalog and it has to be rebuilt.
Even gayer

Pandora through my Blackberry is a little flaky - even after the 2.03 firmware update.
i would bet thats a preblem with parrot as most bluetooth glitches seem to happen the same with pretty much every phone, but then again there is a thing or two that wont work with the Blackberrys that do work fine with others

The sound quality is just as good as the F90
thats at least a good thing

If you could combine the new interface of the X920 with the accuracy of an F90, or better yet, a Kenwood Excelon, I think you'd have a winner.
yea kenny's are defently near the top as far as easy to use anf figure out, but i would wish that they would get their GUI into the current century

Biggest benefits to how I use the 920 are the boot-up time and VR cataloging update times.
its about time that they get their boot up times down to a reasonable time frame

Nobody is pointing out that the MSN stuff (live traffic, data, etc.) for all these units goes out the window on 1 Feb 2011. Why not WAIT for the inevitable new unit that Pioneer will be announcing soon after the current "rebates" (read: "inventory clearing") expires?

that is because it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, this thread is about "is it worth replacing a F90 for a x910 or a x920 which all use the msn feature, that is not going to change until at least after the msn actually get discontinued, that and nobody cares about that shitty service that barely ever works, and waiting around for something that "may" come around later and possibly suck balls just as bad, might not be worth it for most people.

Well if you are considering an X910 as an upgrade to the F90 why not just get the 3.0 software for the F90? Once you do so you will have an X910. The X920 is a completely different animal and shares no similarities to the previous X series. In fact, the 920 is a smaller screen version of the Z120BT and they run the same software.

Where can I get the 3.0 upgrade? I might just do that, will the navigation screen look the same as my x910? I love how it displays the exits on the freeways! I think i will just do the upgrade, the boot time doesnt bother me. Is the cheapest place to order Pioneers website? Is it available on Amazon?

you can only get it from pioneer because they tie it in to your serial number, however if your very computer savvy, it can be had for free with a little work to load it and update it your self, all the directions are located over in the hacks and mods section.