AVIC411.com

Want to use factory Rear entertainment with Z1

yes please. I know of video splitters that you can splice into the systems. but you must know which are the video prior to that. So IF it can be done simply with plugging into some rca's that would be great. Of course you loose the controls from factory radio which is the point of the factory radio I would think being integrated with it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes please. I know of video splitters that you can splice into the systems. but you must know which are the video prior to that. So IF it can be done simply with plugging into some rca's that would be great. Of course you loose the controls from factory radio which is the point of the factory radio I would think being integrated with it.

yes, as soon as I get a chance, I'll ask the installer....but...

even when we had only the rear unit, the children always used the remote for everything and I never used the factory head unit except when they didn't want to use the head phones, I had to set the sound on a certain station....so, it could be heard through the speakers.

so, you will lose that ability....the rear dvd will only be heard via head phones...that's the only thing I can think of that I lost.

but, I'll check with the installer to make sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the Z1 installed in my 2007 Ford Freestyle with the FACTORY DVD player (it's beige, to match the interior). I don't have it connected to the Z1 yet. I say YET, because there is a solution that I'm waiting on. My local dealer/installer has a company that will make a factory CAN-BUS adapter to allow the DVD unit to function on its own or as a secondary monitor to the Z1. They run into this all the time with late model Fords and Chryslers. I'll try to find out who he goes to for this adaptor and post the info for y'all.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

I just got my 2003 Toyota Sequoia back yesterday from having a Z2 installed. It has the factory DVD system. We had anticipated a tricky install from reading OEMValue.com (our original choice was the Toyota system) but in looking around for the best value on the Z2, various stereo shops told us different things, the general consensus being that it was no problem. Two shops told us that they would convert the factory plugs to RCA.

The shop that we eventually bought from initially thought that it would not be a problem but found out otherwise. They got it to work by taking apart the factory unit and using the "brains" to integrate with the Z2. On brief testing, all the functions seem to work. The wireless headphones work, you can also listen to the audio over the speakers. The installer said that you could control the audio from the backseat unit, as well. I haven't tested it myself. I plan to spend some time going through it function by function today.

I am a little disappointed with the steering wheel control integration, though. I plan to get the little black Pioneer steering wheel remote for the Bluetooth phone functions so maybe I'll just end up using that more if it is more functional.

All in all, it beat buying a brand new Sequoia just for the Navigation. I love my Sequoia, even more now!

• 2 weeks later...
I just had the Z1 installed in my 2007 Ford Freestyle with the FACTORY DVD player (it's beige, to match the interior). I don't have it connected to the Z1 yet. I say YET, because there is a solution that I'm waiting on. My local dealer/installer has a company that will make a factory CAN-BUS adapter to allow the DVD unit to function on its own or as a secondary monitor to the Z1. They run into this all the time with late model Fords and Chryslers. I'll try to find out who he goes to for this adaptor and post the info for y'all.

Cheers!

Uncle Buck, did you ever get that CAN-BUS working?

I have my Nissan Titan factory DVD working with the AVIC Z1 but the wireless headphones quit and there is a ton of noise over the audio.

BTW - gadget, cool name! hehe Did you verify your rear control setup yet?

Thanks! Just trying to decide if I should invest more time & money getting the rear DVD entertainment setup working 100% or not.

Do either of you have engine noise while watching videos? I haven't been able to fix that issue yet. I have replaced all stock components except the rear DVD unit and I still have noise!

After an excruciatingly painful installation, I got my AVIC-Z2 interfaced to steering controls (Peripherals PESWIPS) and OnStar (Peripherals GMAH24B). Not having rear speaker control is not as bad as I thought, sound quality overall is very good. Eventually I will replace amp, but for now - good 'nuf.

The rear DVD (factory Panasonic branded) is impossible to get audio off of from what I can tell. At first, I grabbed the rear entertainment left/right audio from front dash... Nothing. Dug around circuit diagrams - end up pulling the audio directly off the unit... nothing.

Can't find anything (yet) that describes the audio signal, but it clearly is digital. Has anyone done / found anything that can translate the GM Class-II audio signals to analog? Its a real damn shame to have to replace the overhead DVD since it works perfectly fine...

So after speaking with another tech, I am thinking maybe I got it wrong with the digital audio assessment. He swears its not digital, though not from first hand experience. That said, I am second doubting that perhaps I grabbed the wrong common audio lead which is blk/wht on pin 12 -- same as blk/wht ground on pin 7... Jury is out still - I will have to reopen and check if I err'd.

Cheers,

Atreides