AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z120BT and AVIC-F20BT

Hi All,

I would like to buy the Z120BT from the US and use it in Australia. Does anyone know if it would be possible to load the Australian GPS map and the latest firmware for Australian model AVIC-F20BT. As far as I can tell these units have no differences when it comes to hardware.

Might be better to buy an un-updated Z110-BT, because if it already has v2.0, or a higher version number, you may not be able to install the F20BT update with the AU maps.

As far as hardware differences, don't think so, but I have no specific knowledge on this. There is a difference on the FM receiver between US and EU, but I think it is software controlled. It is the sepatation between FM stations (like 99.7, 99.9. 100.1...etc) In the US the FM band starts at 88.1 Mhz and there is a 200kHz separation. So all our frequencies end in an odd number after the decimal. I think in EU and maybe AU, it is a 100kHz gap. Like I said, I think it is software configurable, so it probably isn't a problem.

Also, not sure about the DVD region. The Z110 might be locked to region 1. I don't remember having to set a region on installation.

Update: The manual says "DVD-Video discs that have incompatible region numbers cannot be played on this DVD drive. The region number of the player can be found on this product’s chassis."

Also in the Appendix under Error Messages it says:

-Message: Region code cannot be matched (DIFFERENT REGION DISC)

-Cause: The disc does not have the same region number as the navigation system.

-Action: Replace the DVD-Video with one bearing the correct region number.

So, it is not clear whether the configured region number is a function of hardware or software. If software (OS), then it probably would change with the F20BT update.

This is far too risky to try. If you buy a US unit and attempt to install the F20 upgrade on it and screw something up, you may end up with a brick unit that you cant do anything with. I assume you want a US unit because of its price compared to the EU unit but if you cant do anything with it because it is bricked that pretty much defeats the purpose of trying to save money.