AVIC411.com

white noise on Gex p920 xm on my Z1

Hello --

I have a Pioneer Avic Z1 along with the Gex p920 xm satellite receiver. I purchased this Gex p920 xm receiver several months back and have had issues with periodic white noise happening.

It is frustrating as it makes the benefit of having satellite seem like a liability. I signed up for three years of satellite and now I have sub-par performance -- grrrrr.

Here are the symptoms and a summary of my setup:

A bit about the reception:

It is kind of strange in that the white noise seems to happen always in certain locations rather than just randomly.

It happens even when I have a clear view of the sky.

It can happen and I can move a few feet ( with a clear view of the sky) and then it will once again work.

I seem to have satellite coverage when it happens.

I can even get signals sometimes in covered garages or in areas that you might not expect to get satellite coverage.

Even when the white noise happens, I seem to get three bars each on the top and the bottom of the satellite icon on my display.

Here is what I have tried:

Repositioning the antenna. Result no better performance.

Getting a new antenna -- after working with support. Result -- same white noise periodically.

Getting a new Gex p920 xm. -- Result -- same periodic white noise.

Mods--

I do have the ground wire setup so that my Nav unit can be programmed while the vehicle is in motion.

From what I understand, this is my only mod that I can think that might be playing a part in all of this. I don't want to have to replace the Gex p920 xm one more time as the installation and removals are starting to get old and cost me $ as well.

Support had me validate that all was connected properly and that the antenna was properly mounted. I have had it pulled out and replaced multiple times, so this is an unlikely scenario. I am getting told by support that the Avic Z1 head unit will give out white noise if it doesn't have anything to transmit and it seems like I can get another Gex p920 xm (this would be my third one overall) as they are pointing to the fact that the first two may have had the same problem -- seems unlikely to me, that is why I am submitting this to this forum.

If anyone could potentially shed some light on what might be going on here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you could provide. I love Pioneer and want to trust them in the future, but am beginning to get a bit skeptical.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...