AVIC411.com

dual layer dvd

I have not tested this so please don't take what I am saying as FACT. Given that the unit will obviously read dual layer DVD's (as most movies are nowadays) I would guess that if you mastered your own dual layer disc as a video DVD (don't just dump the files on it) you should be ok. I have played DVD video that I burned on a single layer disc.
I think you can only burn with Shrink if you already have Nero or DVD Decrypter installed. I've only used DVD+R and +RW and both have worked but I have not tried -R/RW. When +R first came out, most people were saying that -R had more compatibility with most DVD players so I would think either format should work. Oh, yeah I just remembered. When I bought my first DVD burner I also bought a 50 pack of ProDiscs and they worked fine too. Those are on the lower scale of the quality spectrum.
Actually DVD Decrypter will burn DVD's as well without nero. You are correct that Shrink won't burn without nero, but you can use Shrink to shrink and output the result to a folder and use Decrypter to burn as well. I find it easier to have decrypter loaded, and nero loaded and then do it all with Shrink (reading, shrinking and burning) all with the "one" interface. But that's just me.

And a few years ago +r and -r made a difference cause some players would only burn one or the other, but these days, most modern players will read both.