AVIC411.com

Delayed On-Screen Messages With X920BT??

All:

My buddy's X920BT seems to suffer from a delayed message and notification issue that's not a huge deal, but is more of an annoyance. It seems to mostly happen with Bluetooth and phone-related screen messages on the AVIC.

For example, if he has a problem connecting his phone using Bluetooth for some reason, he sometimes gives up and goes inside. The next time he comes out to the car and reconnects -- whether it be an hour later or the next morning --, the "successful" connection message is first preceded by an error message ON THE AVIC from the DAY BEFORE that the AVIC never managed to spit out. He ignores the message on the AVIC and continues to connect, and it works fine.

It's a delayed message bug on Pioneer's part (or Parrot, if the X920 uses Parrot?), but since Pioneer's computer programmers suck hairy, decayed moose balls, AVIC users are stuck with shit like this.

Another example is with the "My Mix" (formerly "Memo") function on the XM tuners. A song memo might be properly stored, but the AVIC might not display the message indicating success until the NEXT TIME my buddy records a Memo...the AVIC will show the LAST message in its message stack from a song he "memo-fied" YESTERDAY.

This problem may be playing a role in many user's interpretation of what's going on when they try to connect Bluetooth phones to these units. In another thread, I'm trying to help a guy get his Blackberry connected to an X920, and I'm starting to suspect that left-over Bluetooth pairing-related messages on the part of the AVIC are playing a role in confusing things.

Anybody else having issues with the AVIC X920BT displaying messages when they connect a Bluetooth device that actually are left over from the PREVIOUS pairing session? Or OTHER examples of AVIC on-screen messages that are delayed?

- JD

All:

My buddy's X920BT seems to suffer from a delayed message and notification issue that's not a huge deal, but is more of an annoyance. It seems to mostly happen with Bluetooth and phone-related screen messages on the AVIC.

For example, if he has a problem connecting his phone using Bluetooth for some reason, he sometimes gives up and goes inside. The next time he comes out to the car and reconnects -- whether it be an hour later or the next morning --, the "successful" connection message is first preceded by an error message ON THE AVIC from the DAY BEFORE that the AVIC never managed to spit out. He ignores the message on the AVIC and continues to connect, and it works fine.

It's a delayed message bug on Pioneer's part (or Parrot, if the X920 uses Parrot?), but since Pioneer's computer programmers suck hairy, decayed moose balls, AVIC users are stuck with shit like this.

Another example is with the "My Mix" (formerly "Memo") function on the XM tuners. A song memo might be properly stored, but the AVIC might not display the message indicating success until the NEXT TIME my buddy records a Memo...the AVIC will show the LAST message in its message stack from a song he "memo-fied" YESTERDAY.

This problem may be playing a role in many user's interpretation of what's going on when they try to connect Bluetooth phones to these units. In another thread, I'm trying to help a guy get his Blackberry connected to an X920, and I'm starting to suspect that left-over Bluetooth pairing-related messages on the part of the AVIC are playing a role in confusing things.

Anybody else having issues with the AVIC X920BT displaying messages when they connect a Bluetooth device that actually are left over from the PREVIOUS pairing session? Or OTHER examples of AVIC on-screen messages that are delayed?

- JD

I dont think this issue is a common problem and likely related to a possible defective unit. Just have it exchanged while you can.

I dont think this issue is a common problem and likely related to a possible defective unit. Just have it exchanged while you can.

Maybe...

...but it's hard to imagine what kind of defect would cause this. A corrupt software load would likely show other glitches as well, not just a delayed message stack pointer issue (which is what I think this is...I wonder what programming language they used?). And it can't be any sort of hardware defect that I can think of. Really odd...

I still wanna' see if anyone else chimes in with this issue. Even with my buddy's unit, we're not seeing this frequently...just enough to confirm it's not a one-time error or glitch. We shall see...

Did you reset the unit?

We disconnected it from the power harness twice in the course of making adjustments to the installation...he says he noticed the problem at least once before and after the second time. However, I don't believe he's done a hardware reset.

Good thought. I'll tell him to give it a shot.

I wonder if the unit would allow him to re-install the firmware update just to check the corrupt software load theory (which I think is unlikely...)?